• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep hearing about from you fellows that there are #11 caps at Walmarts? My wife decided to go to Walmarts and as usual asked if I needed anything? I nsaid I would go with her to see if they had any caps. I did and they did! $5.62 a tin! It shook me up so bad I had a uncontroled bowel movement ! My wife screamed and I heard the Walmart worker yell another ckean up on aisle five! Looks like it is a common occurence these days? LOL!

Shot my Frontier caplock this morning. Beautiful morning, temps in the 50's. 50 grains T7 powder, .010 patch, .490 lead. Took some pics of steel I hit this morning, had a really good outing. Thought you might like to see some of the targets at the range too. All shots off hand, factory primitive sights and my 67 year old eyes. :)

50 yd spinner, this thing goes around like a fan when you hit it. Those are my hits on it.
Aug 11th 50 yd spinner.jpg
50 yd plate, there's one beside it too that we duel with at rendezvous. Looks like I wrecked the fresh paint.
Aug 11th 50 yds.jpg
Another 60 yd one I messed up the paint on.
Aug 11th 60 yds.jpg
The 100 yd swingers, I tagged the red one today.
Aug 11th 100 yd swinging bottles.jpg
130 yd 12" plate, nailed today a couple of times
Aug 11th 130 yd blue plate special.jpg
The 130 yd buffalo, yup that's my hit right in the heart, meat on the table :)
Aug 11th 130 yd Buffalo.jpg
The whack of the day....2 hits @100 yds on this 8" plate
PhotoFunia-1723394742.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, I know I did!

First shots with Pieta 1851 Navy I bought from fellow forum member. Only got off two cylinders. Range extremely busy on a weekend with first nice day in a while. Only conclusion is that the Pietta prefers #10 caps, whereas my previous experience of an Uberti with same model was that it preferred #11 caps. No chance to see how well it was hitting. Will need more investigation.

Full stock Hawken Pistol with a .54 Sharon barrel. The very early pistols were pinned and the wedge keys came a few years later. This will be paired with a full stock .54 rifle also a Sharon barrel.

Attachments

• 20240811_155153.jpg
    20240811_155153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_155018.jpg
    20240811_155018.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_155034.jpg
    20240811_155034.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_155117.jpg
    20240811_155117.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_155136.jpg
    20240811_155136.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_155330.jpg
    20240811_155330.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Full stock Hawken Pistol with a .54 Sharon barrel. The very early pistols were pinned and the wedge keys came a few years later. This will be paired with a full stock .54 rifle also a Sharon barrel.
That is sweet! I’ve never seen a Sharon pistol barrel.

@RobertIN cool hat. 😎

Finally got to the bench. The only thing I had on.my mind was to switch barrels on CVA Frontier rifles and put things back together. You'd think those barrels would swap easily but one was a wee bit bigger and it turned into an inletting project. Not a big deal but then I misplaced a tang bolt 😬 A search was fruitless..headed to Ace for a replacement. Had my choice of Phillips head or flat screwdriver head. Got both. The Single slot was only available in brass but it will do until I find the original one.

Was also switching the trigger guards. Turns out they were factory drilled different. So plugged all the existing holes with glue and toothpicks. Then redrilled.

Changed out sights on the barrels and realized it was dinner time.

Not much accomplished for a whole afternoon.

Admired my Chambers English Sporting kit. Really want to get started on it but my whole life is loose ends sooo.... Focusing on the loose ends.

@RobertIN cool hat. 😎

Finally got to the bench. The only thing I had on.my mind was to switch barrels on CVA Frontier rifles and put things back together. You'd think those barrels would swap easily but one was a wee bit bigger and it turned into an inletting project. Not a big deal but then I misplaced a tang bolt 😬 A search was fruitless..headed to Ace for a replacement. Had my choice of Phillips head or flat screwdriver head. Got both. The Single slot was only available in brass but it will do until I find the original one.

Was also switching the trigger guards. Turns out they were factory drilled different. So plugged all the existing holes with glue and toothpicks. Then redrilled.

Admired my Chambers English Sporting kit. Really want to get started on it but my whole life is loose ends sooo.... Focusing on the loose ends.
When you get to that kit I want pictures please. 👀

@RobertIN cool hat. 😎

Thanks! It's a Cleetus McFarland hat, he's a drag racing/general automotive shenanigans YouTuber. Good stuff!

I'm just headed to the bench. Don't know what I'll do there but I'll find something.
Well Longcruise it might be time for some filing. I don’t mean paper filing, it’s parts filing that gets me out in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4240.jpeg
    IMG_4240.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I mentioned earlier that I bought an estate lot of B/P stuff for $100, when I met the guy to pick up the stuff he threw in a full pound of powder from the 70s and a tackle box with a lot of other stuff in it. I gave one of the molds to a Forum guy who lives close and sold the Lyman TC Maxi mold for about half of what I paid for the whole lot. I am going to keep the TC plug wrench, it is 15/16" and I have a TC .50 but it is unlikely I will ever pull the plug but one never knows.

score.JPG

I thought the lead pot was a bit small but needed to cast some .390 balls for my .40 so I filled it with lead and turned it on yesterday, it worked like a champ. I have a tablespoon sized dipper that worked perfectly with the small .390 mold, the pot kept the lead at the perfect casting temp. I think I will keep it; very handy for a quick pour.

I already have an RCBS bottom pour dipper like the one in the picture, it appears unused, probably because it is too big for this small pot.

I mentioned earlier that I bought an estate lot of B/P stuff for $100, when I met the guy to pick up the stuff he threw in a full pound of powder from the 70s and a tackle box with a lot of other stuff in it. I gave one of the molds to a Forum guy who lives close and sold the Lyman TC Maxi mold for about half of what I paid for the whole lot. I am going to keep the TC plug wrench, it is 15/16" and I have a TC .50 but it is unlikely I will ever pull the plug but one never knows.

View attachment 341012

I thought the lead pot was a bit small but needed to cast some .390 balls for my .40 so I filled it with lead and turned it on yesterday, it worked like a champ. I have a tablespoon sized dipper that worked perfectly with the small .390 mold, the pot kept the lead at the perfect casting temp. I think I will keep it; very handy for a quick pour.

I already have an RCBS bottom pour dipper like the one in the picture, it appears unused, probably because it is too big for this small pot.
bet you could rent out that TC plug wrench and pay for everything twice over Eric!
they are hard to come by. I had to make one.
No wait, i used a Garand action wrench on the New Englander. memory is first to go. I forget where though.

Latest posts

Back