• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a double barrel swivel rifle a year or so ago. Both barrels were loaded with rust, so I figured while it was an interesting rifle the odds of me ever actually using it was slim. Even got a container of Evaporust but never got around to using it.
Recently came across the posting by Phil Coffens in the smoothbore forum called " Adventures with Evaporust". Took notice of the video there and decided to give it a try on the bores (couldn't hurt). 1.4 oz. of A&H Laundry, 3.5 oz of Pure Citric Acid and 36 fluid ounces of warm water with a bit of Dawn dish soap. Carefully poured it into the barrels (didn't want to see what it would do to the bluing ???) then waited an hour before rinsing it out.........Unbelievable ..... Seriously ..... both barrels are clear of any rust and are clean as a whistle. Camera is not that great hopefully you will be able to see the results. WZ
How about pictures of the whole gun, and specs.
Thanks,

How about pictures of the whole gun, and specs.
Thanks,
The rifle is a Numrich Arms. West Hurley, N.Y. .45 Caliber both barrels. Barrel length of 28." Bought it at action so never saw the rust till I owned it back in 2023. Had trouble with the lock and in Dec of 23 OLUT and Grimord helped with fixing the lock ...OLUT sent me a new spring and Gimord provided information on strengthening the lock Both know a lot about this weapon style so if you have need of more information, they would be the ones to ask. Like I said in the beginning, this rifle has been standing in a corner since I got it because of the rust. Now it will be going to the range. WZ

Attachments

• 100_3500.JPG
    100_3500.JPG
    981.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3501.JPG
    100_3501.JPG
    695.5 KB · Views: 0
I can’t take much credit for this one other than being willing to reach out!! This gun was a gift from Deerstalker! Some of you may remember earlier in the year he had a CVA frontier for sale. Because he had sold several rifles in a short period of time he was feeling blessed and offered to give the frontier to a young shooter. I reached out to him on behalf of my son because we had hoped to give him a muzzleloader for Christmas this year. Deerstalker followed through and mailed us the frontier! We decided to give it to him on his birthday instead of Christmas that way he can hunt this year with it! We are blessed!!
Well that is a very nice thing to do.

Took the Lyman out today just to see how it shoots. Started with 65 gr.2F Goex -1/2" dia OPW -.015 lubed patch-.490 rb. Those are the holes below the black. The holes in the black happened when I went to 75 grains 2F- Wasp nest OPW, patch and rb same. I rolled a chunk of wasp nest just for the heck of it a little bigger than the bore and pushed it down the bore on the powder. I'm thinking the wasp nest may have made a better seal? It started getting a bit warm so I quit for the day so I could clean it up and put her away. This was just a , get used to the gun day, next time out I'll start working on a load to get ready for deer season.

Attachments

• DSC00328.JPG
    DSC00328.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00329.JPG
    DSC00329.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
I have a Numrich Arms Hopkins & Allen Heritage Model underhammer .45. I'd like to try it on woods walks and maybe deer hunting. However, it had the lollypop-type peep sight and a globe front sight mounted. Great for targets. The woods, not so much. Numrich still had an adjustable open rear sight and a blade front sight that fit, so I ordered them and mounted them after work tonight.

underhammer-open-sights.jpg

Yes, the wrist split and I had to repair it. That happened last year.

open-rear-sight.jpg

blade-front-sight.jpg

I'll need to put some paint on that front sight. It's thin and light colored. I do that on all my guns anyway.

I’ve been working on a NOS CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle in .54 that I picked up from a member on this forum. Did some staining and nitric acid today. Humidity and temps will be back up this weekend to finish all the hardware browning.

My 13 year old shot his new CVA Frontier for the first time!! He was gifted it on this birthday last Sunday! The first three shots were grouped great! Then he started using the set trigger and it got to much in his mind! He started pulling the shots!!
now bring him up this fall and I will host you to an Elk hunt. might even let you shoot one of my mule deer.
PICT0018.JPG

Well, I finally took my flintlock to the range today after owning it for several months and to be honest, slightly intimidated by trying something new. Wish I could say I channeled my inner Mtn. Man, but not the case. First shot went well, I was only hoping for a flash and recoil. From there, not so good. A few flashes, a few nothing at alls. After talking with a buddy, my flints we determined are undersized, and too long. The rifle is a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber. I ordered some 3/4x3/4 English flints from TOTW. Was burning 60 grns. 3F Scheutzen , and null 0B pan primer. We think with the 5/8x7/8 flints I was using, Im not getting proper placement in relation to the frizzen. Hopefully I get better results next time out.

I gotta admit, that first one going off was pretty cool. When I can get to the point of consistent ignition, then I'll worry about accuracy.

now bring him up this fall and I will host you to an Elk hunt. might even let you shoot one of my mule deer.View attachment 341843
That would be awesome!! He would love to!! I elk hunted once with my brother in laws when we lived in Oregon. It was with modern guns. But my boys were too young to come then! Sure would be amazing to have a crack at one with a black powder gun!! Unfortunately life would not allow us to at this piont in time!:-( sure wish we could!!

now bring him up this fall and I will host you to an Elk hunt. might even let you shoot one of my mule deer.View attachment 341843
That would be awesome!! He would love to!! I elk hunted once with my brother in laws when we lived in Oregon. It was with modern guns. But my boys were too young to come then! Sure would be amazing to have a crack at one with a black powder gun!! Unfortunately life would not allow us to at this piont in time!:-( sure wish we could!!

Well, I finally took my flintlock to the range today after owning it for several months and to be honest, slightly intimidated by trying something new. Wish I could say I channeled my inner Mtn. Man, but not the case. First shot went well, I was only hoping for a flash and recoil. From there, not so good. A few flashes, a few nothing at alls. After talking with a buddy, my flints we determined are undersized, and too long. The rifle is a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber. I ordered some 3/4x3/4 English flints from TOTW. Was burning 60 grns. 3F Scheutzen , and null 0B pan primer. We think with the 5/8x7/8 flints I was using, Im not getting proper placement in relation to the frizzen. Hopefully I get better results next time out.

I gotta admit, that first one going off was pretty cool. When I can get to the point of consistent ignition, then I'll worry about accuracy.
You're gonna get there brother. Then you can teach me because I am nowhere near a flintlock expert.

wish you could too. I can no longer chase elk over the mountain, so I have to do it vicariously through advising and such. Living in the middle of elk, deer and bear i have a pretty good idea where they hang.

I tore my Kibler Woodsrunner down for the umpteenth time. So it's sitting there at parade rest and I noticed that it's next to another smoker of shall we say lesser lineage. It struck me as funny.....two items from opposite ends of the spectrum.

Attachments

• 6b24d576-ae92-43c9-a269-30706dadafa2-1_all_1522.jpg
    6b24d576-ae92-43c9-a269-30706dadafa2-1_all_1522.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Took the Lyman out today just to see how it shoots. Started with 65 gr.2F Goex -1/2" dia OPW -.015 lubed patch-.490 rb. Those are the holes below the black. The holes in the black happened when I went to 75 grains 2F- Wasp nest OPW, patch and rb same. I rolled a chunk of wasp nest just for the heck of it a little bigger than the bore and pushed it down the bore on the powder. I'm thinking the wasp nest may have made a better seal? It started getting a bit warm so I quit for the day so I could clean it up and put her away. This was just a , get used to the gun day, next time out I'll start working on a load to get ready for deer season.
Have the same gun and like it a lot.

Back