• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What will you be hunting with this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What will you be hunting with this year as far as rifles and loads? What game will you be hunting with that rifle(s) and load(s)?

I will be using a T/C 54cal Renegade loaded with a Hornady or Speer .530 roundball and a .015 pre-lubed patch over 100gr Goex FFG. This will be used for whitetails.

Be using my Jackie Brown .20 ga smoothbore for turkeys and deer in Oct. 80 grs of Goex 3f and a home cast .600 rd ball for deer and 80 grs of 2f and 1 1/2 oz #2 shot for turkeys.

I have been drawn for whitetail and mule deer does and will be using my TC New Englander.54 with .530 RB wrapped in .015 patch over 100 grains of 2F. Funny how those TC .54's like that load. I will alternate hunts with my Investarms .50 flintlock with 80 rains of 2F, .015 patch and a .490 round ball.

Richard

The .32 flinter Southern Mountain rifle I built, with a .315 PRB and 30 gr. of 3F for squirrels.
For whitetails I'm gonna use the .54 GPR I just built from a kit. I'm gonna use a PRB in it too, but I haven't worked up a load yet.
I sure would like to be lucky enough to get drawn for the KY elk hunt. I'd use the GPR for that too.

My short rifle project is almost complete! So hopefully I'll be using a .58 for our muzzle loading season and a North Star .20 ga Early English for our shotgun deer season.

I may dust off my 1792 and 1803 rifles as well, both in .54.

I'll mostly be using a New Englander from T/C.50 cal.90 grains of 3f.
Sometimes I'll hunt with my Lyman Deerstalker in 50 cal.That thing likes 70 grains of 3f.Whitetails and Bears Are the only game in these parts.
Can't wait either. :v

once my operation is done i hope the finishing of my 1770 lancaster in .54 is good fer my therapy and is done by hunting season.............bob

My .54 GPR will be primary. I may take the .50 T/C Hawken out, if I get it finished.

I'm too excited to wait!! :grin: :grin:

TC Firestorm .50 Flint, 105gr 3F, 350gr Minnieball.

Backup/coup-de-gras/"oh-$hit": pre-Traditions .50 "Buckhunter" pistol, 50gr 3F PRB.

I’ll be using my .58 1853 Enfield on deer once I get it shooting straight. Then I’ll be gunning for ducks, squirrels, and basically anything legal and edible that crosses my path with my Cabela’s/Pedersoli double 10 ga. with 110 gr. and as many #2’s she’ll hold for ducks and geese anyway.

Spot and stock ground squirrels, jack rabbits and cottontail with the TC Cherokee 32 and maybe the CVA Squirrrel 32 (if I still have it).

Traditional predator calling (coyote, fox, bobcat, badger, etc.). Usually go out for the day with a combination made up out of a couple of these: CVA Squirrel 36, TC Hawken 36/45/50, CVA Mountain Rifle 45, TC Renegade 54/12 GA, Sieber 45 pistol.

Upland birds with a TC Renegade 12 Gauge.

Don't hunt big game anymore except lions, and all my favored hunt units remain closed until further notice. So I doubt I'll go calling for them at all this fall/winter unless one of the ranchers I do ADC for needs one removed on a depredation tag.

Come spring the small northern GS's when they come up in numbers with the TC Hawken 36 / 32" Navy Arms 4X Brass Scope. Shooting is off a portable bench and as far away as you care to try.

I'll be starting the small game season with my Jackie Brown 28 bore canoe gun for squirrels. Then I'll be using my .54 GPR caplock for rifle deer season. During muzzleloading deer season I'll be using my 20 bore NW trade gun with .600 RB. Then last but not least, when the ground is snow covered, I'll be doing some rabbit hunting with my 16 bore brass barreled blunderbuss and either #6 magnum shot or traditional drip shot.

.54 GPR (If I ever finish it), 80 gr. FFFG, .530 roundball with pillowticking for whitetails and antelope.

barebackjack said:
.54 GPR (If I ever finish it), 80 gr. FFFG, .530 roundball with pillowticking for whitetails and antelope.
Hurry up and get sandin,ya aint got much time left :rotf:

Deer and hogs I'll be using mostly my .58cal. Berks County and .54cal. Buck's County. Spring gobblers will be my .20ga. Old Virgina..and will use it for squirrels also.

If I go elk hunting I will buy a GM 58cal for my Renegade and load it with 120gr Goex FFG and a .570 roundball with a .015 patch and possibly a wad.

Whitetails with my new Austin and Halleck Mountain rifle in flint, with 80g of FFFg, a .490 ball and 15th pillow ticking lubed with Ballistol.

86 gr of 3Fg in a .54 Lehigh (by John Donelson) flintlock for deer. 84 gr 2F in a .50 percussion New Englander if the weather is wet. Be on my own 20 acres for the first time this year and I WILL get one with the flintlock, by gum.

42 gr in the flintlock for bunnies and squirrel.

1-1/8 oz #6 & 75 gr 2F in the New Englander with 12 ga barrel (straight cylinder bore - the original one) for bunnies and to shoot where grouse were only fractions of seconds before.

Latest posts

Back