• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which group is the best?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm seeking opinions. I took the Frontier Gander rifle out to the Range on Friday. This time with the 50-caliber barrel (it also came with a 36). Both barrels are 28 inches. I started with 45 grains of 3F at 13 yards to ensure I was on paper. I moved it out to 25 yards and Bench Rested 45, 50, 55 & 60 grains. 60 (1.25") had a better-looking group (cloverleaf) but 50 (1") is smaller.

What say ye? Keep in mind that this is a light rifle. 60 grains has a bit more kick than I prefer. I usually shoot 2F in my 50s but I’m running low and have quite a bit of 3F on hand. Plus it seems to burn cleaner.

Thanks!

Walt

Attachments

• 20240712_165830.jpg
    20240712_165830.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240714_190348.jpg
    20240714_190348.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240714_190434.jpg
    20240714_190434.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240714_190459.jpg
    20240714_190459.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Just my 2 cents… Looks like somewhere between 50 gr. to 60 gr. is the sweet spot. If it were me, I would now start at 51 gr. and work my way up in 1 or 2 gr. increments to find that spot. I would also stick with 3f in the .50 cal.

You’ll be surprised how much influence 1 or 2 gr. will have on accuracy.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle I bought new as a kit from Gander. I shoot 60 grs. 3F in the .50 and 25 grs. in the .36 for roundballs, I up it for Maxis.

Nothing wrong with using 3F in a rifle/musket. Anything saying otherwise is an old wife's tale.

As far as the groups, I'd say it is splitting hairs between the 50 and the 60 and if you are doing more than punching paper and are going to be using it for hunting, I would go with the 60 and its slightly more oomph as the accuracy is there either way.

If it is a paper target competition situation, then I would work on trying different variable some more to fine tune it to get the very best group the felt good to fire for an extended number of shots. Silhouettes or other "knock down" targets would of course be a different animal.

Nothing wrong with using 3F in a rifle/musket. Anything saying otherwise is an old wife's tale.

As far as the groups, I'd say it is splitting hairs between the 50 and the 60 and if you are doing more than punching paper and are going to be using it for hunting, I would go with the 60 and its slightly more oomph as the accuracy is there either way.

If it is a paper target competition situation, then I would work on trying different variable some more to fine tune it to get the very best group the felt good to fire for an extended number of shots. Silhouettes or other "knock down" targets would of course be a different animal.
I was going to use the 36 for paper targets and the 50 for steel.

Thanks!

Walt

@BP Addict, I concur with other respondents. The results need to be repeated to confirm the observations. Just as one should have 5 shots to establish a group, one should have at least 3 repeat groups to verify the result.

Then of course, we have wind, direction of the sun, variable clouds and personal fatigue to complicate the results.

The 55 grain is a nice group with the exception of the low shot which could be operator error. I would do a 65 grain to see what happens. I think you will find your load somewhere between 55 and 65. If this is a new barrel you have to consider that it will take some shooting to get it broke in and really shooting nice tight groups.

@BP Addict, I concur with other respondents. The results need to be repeated to confirm the observations. Just as one should have 5 shots to establish a group, one should have at least 3 repeat groups to verify the result.

Then of course, we have wind, direction of the sun, variable clouds and personal fatigue to complicate the results.
I've heard of the first rule but not the second. Good to know.

Thanks!

Walt

Back