• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why a Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really want to order a Kibler kit, but I am waffling between the Woodsrunner and the Fowler. Leaning towards the rifle, a 54 caliber, but can see the utility of a 20ga fowler.

You didn't say what you are going to use it for. I see you're in New Mexico and if for hunting I'd get the rifle since you are probably going to hunt more open country for antelope, mule deer and elk all of which could definitely mean a longer range of 100 yards or so.

I do have a 50 caliber percusion rifle, it is what I am using for my deer hunt next month. I am leaning towards the 54 since I love shooting PRB, and I feel if I ever draw an elk tag, the 54 ball would get the job done with a little more margin for error, with the 50 I would likely use a Maxi for elk just for the insurance.

One thing I failed to mention, I have far more opportunities to hunt wildfowl and small game than I do big game. I'm going to ramble a bit here, so reader be warned. I was born in the Eastern portion of the great state of Orygun, Dad was a USAF Officer, and so we moved a bit, Texas, Arkansas, Alaska, South Carolina, New Jersey, Illinois, and then we parted ways as I bean my own USAF adventure on the flightline as an enlisted man fixing America's premier fighters. I was fortunate enough to experience Utah, a host of overseas locations, and culminated here in New Mexico. I used to think I'd never want to live anywhere but the mountainous states, to think at nearer 60 than 50, I have seen the error of my ways. I read of back East adventures with envy, being able to hunt deer every year, turkey, squirrels, and other critters, about the only thing I would miss immensely would be the multiple species of quail I love so dearly. Anyhow, I am still waffling like a politician here.

I took mule deer in New Mexico and Wyoming , elk in Colorado and antalope in Wyoming or Utah, I was hunting Wyoming but may have got over the line.
All with .50 or .54 rifle
It was all in smoothbore range. That’s not to say a rifle isn’t better in the west, but Indian, Mexicans , French and Brits all took a lot of game in the west with smoothies

One thing I failed to mention, I have far more opportunities to hunt wildfowl and small game than I do big game. I'm going to ramble a bit here, so reader be warned. I was born in the Eastern portion of the great state of Orygun, Dad was a USAF Officer, and so we moved a bit, Texas, Arkansas, Alaska, South Carolina, New Jersey, Illinois, and then we parted ways as I bean my own USAF adventure on the flightline as an enlisted man fixing America's premier fighters. I was fortunate enough to experience Utah, a host of overseas locations, and culminated here in New Mexico. I used to think I'd never want to live anywhere but the mountainous states, to think at nearer 60 than 50, I have seen the error of my ways. I read of back East adventures with envy, being able to hunt deer every year, turkey, squirrels, and other critters, about the only thing I would miss immensely would be the multiple species of quail I love so dearly. Anyhow, I am still waffling like a politician here.
Get the fowler. You can hunt everything with it you listed. You might just get bit by the smoothbore bug and not need the rifle later it happens a bunch. A .600 round ball will kill anything if hit in vital area. And you can hunt turkeys to doves with it too. For all purpose fowler I run 62/20 ga as I like it better and own 2 of them now. Forever I was straight rifle guy I kept seeing videos or people shooting everything from round balls, buckshot, buck and ball, and shot through them not to mention arrows, and all kinds of other combinations of it fits down barrel. I tried loading shelled corn in mine and had many hits on target with it. Now I love the smooth bore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back