• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder revolver for protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all probably have our unmentionable but does anyone carry bp revolver for the just incase? My problem with BP revolvers is I never had one that you could hit a big dog with at 15 yards. Or a small car.
Well, I don't have an "unmentionable" weapon, not only one. I think it is something with my mind: I don't feel good with those arms.
150 years past the BP revolvers did more than correctly the job, so why not now...
Anyway, the problem is out for me, in Absurdistant the laws and regulations are heavy for all that are modern handguns (also forbidden to carry ancient, Italian clones or any weapon). And only that is before the 19th is free to buy (Black Powder Only). So, for me, the choice is quickly solved: black powder and for all... :D :D
Don't worry 'bout accuracy at 15 yards (13.72 meters: very short distance), a single Colt 1851 is largely good as a modern handgun and does the job better than people can think… ;) :thumb:

Until you have been in an encounter with a bad guy , or a rut season buck , or a black bear w/cub in tow , you may not see the significance of a modern working hand gun. Been there done that. No time for checking caps , grease , powder , or mechanical function. When it's "go time" , your protection has to function.
Tell that to Wild Bill and Mr. Tutt.

Just because the BATF doesn't consider m/l'ers a "firearm" doesn't negate the probability of running afoul of state and/or local law. Filling a room with pistol smoke may seem the height of jocularity or the epitome of just reward for a scofflaw, but at the end of the day your old front-stuffer is still defined as a deadly weapon in every jurisdiction I know of. Know the law and watch your donkey.

35 years ago I was nailed on a federal firearms violation.(interstate commerce of firearms) I aint crying. I did the crime and I did the time.
I have no other option for EDC. These are my two I rotate between. Both fit perfectly in a sticky holster in my waist band.
Would I choose a modern pistol if I had the choice? YES
But I do feel its better than nothing. And certainly better than a felon in possession charge that would get me a solid 5.
9AC428A2-98CF-4855-9BD9-19076CA29018.jpeg
IMG_7041.jpeg
IMG_7042.jpeg

One shot at 75 to 80 yards in the heart permanently retired Mr. Tutt. I would say whatever choice of your protection, being as proficient as Wild Bill will do the trick.

Yes quite a shot he made, even after Tutt firing first and missing Bill completely. Quite different if you get into a confrontation with your BP six shooter and the other guy has a semi auto. I hope you neutralize the threat in the first shot for obvious reasons.

I lived within walking distance of a fellow out in the country where I was shooting BP revolvers in my yard range when he showed up and asked if he could get his BP revolvers and come over and shoot. Of course I said yes. We had met before and he was a good neighbor. After a couple hours of chatting and shooting he told me his daily carry gun was a 1858 Remington New Model Army with a 5 inch barrel. I was surprised and asked why handicap your self when numerous cartridge guns were available. He had a simple answer, he was a convicted felon and not allowed to carry a cartridge gun. I only ask if he was convicted of a sex crime as I had young children there and he said no. That is as far as it went that day. We did shoot together several other times and had enjoyable conversations. It turns out he was involved in a ponzie scheme and while not at the top close enough to it to do 2 years for it. So unless you have no choice I would carry an unmentionable and in my case in my truck I have several.

35 years ago I was nailed on a federal firearms violation.(interstate commerce of firearms) I aint crying. I did the crime and I did the time.
I have no other option for EDC. These are my two I rotate between. Both fit perfectly in a sticky holster in my waist band.
Would I choose a modern pistol if I had the choice? YES
But I do feel its better than nothing. And certainly better than a felon in possession charge that would get me a solid 5.
View attachment 231171View attachment 231172View attachment 231173

Doesn't take much effort at all to be a convicted felon.
I would bet most of us have committed A few in our day whether it was on purpose or not is irrelevant to the law.

Yes quite a shot he made, even after Tutt firing first and missing Bill completely. Quite different if you get into a confrontation with your BP six shooter and the other guy has a semi auto. I hope you neutralize the threat in the first shot for obvious reasons.
That is my point, be a good shot and hope your assailant holds his glock side ways.

I know we all probably have our unmentionable but does anyone carry bp revolver for the just incase? My problem with BP revolvers is I never had one that you could hit a big dog with at 15 yards. Or a small car.
Hmmm? When I lived in Idaho, I hunted two kinds of grouse [loved those big blues]. Since I liked to eat them, I only took head shots. My hunting weapon? Oh, a Lyman Black Powder Revolver. If you can hit them with a modern revolver, you can hit them with a BP revolver. That said, at my age I probably couldn't hit a charging rhino at 10 yards with either. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth. Polecat

I wouldn't bother. BTW, even fully justified shootings are "attacked" and justified shooters often sued, charged, castigated. A guy with a percussion would be touted as a "frontier wanna be" cowboy, and the papers would have a field day.

I kept my ROA loaded at home for many years. But, as said, an ROA is a bit big for carry. And, if you really want a self-defense pistol, antique style ain't the best for life saving.

If it's all I had, maybe. In today's world you need quick firepower, and plenty if it, so for protection, Im sticking with an unmentionable and at least one spare mag..

I kept my ROA loaded at home for many years. But, as said, an ROA is a bit big for carry. And, if you really want a self-defense pistol, antique style ain't the best for life saving.
Yeah, a 7.5" ROA would be a beast to carry. I think it was Blackie Thompson who called the ROA a modern Dragoon. Surely similar in size.

I do.
Not like I have found much need to pack a 6 iron but I have a few times strapped a revolver on my hip or stashed one in my large bag. While I would prefer a modern pistol I have agreed to the rules of the house my other half and I agreed on. Multi Shot guns can only be BP guns. Only modern guns allowed are single shot rifles and shotguns.
And honestly, if I ever have to call on one of my revolvers, I am certain it will go off, I know how to avoid cap jams, and they are loaded with 25 grains of 3f and a nice .454 roundball that I am accurate out to 15 yards with. That is plenty of range for the average indoor firefight. Also I know a thick smoke cloud is getting ready to happen and the bad guys don't. Follow that with a faux panic yell that the place is on fire....betcha the bandit bails. Fear of fire is very primal. A little smoke and feigned panic is all it takes to trigger that fear in many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back