• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder revolver for protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks erwan fir your comment. All you other guys I was just asking as a carry in the woods while squirrel hunting.When said protection I didn't mean EDC. I was just think it would be a cool toy to take with me. The protection I was mwmwaning would be any rabid animal or whatever. A 44 BP revolver should scare most animals off. I'm pretty sure Indiana has no bears or wolves or whatever. Anyway like you say no matter what my personal weapon would be much better.

Pcinthialeevthsts s good answer. Talk about knives being heavily restricted. Read up on mace..pepper spray.. bear spray not to mention black Jack's the leather ones with lead or something heavy inside. If your strict may as well forget the clubs and knives just shoot the thug. Better yet run away if possible.

Interesting responses, but the original poster wasn't talking about fighting off cartel gangs, just having a bp pistol along while having a good time in the woods. Memory's fading, but I dimly remember a home owner using a bp revolver to repel a couple of bandidos within the last couple of years. ??

I would carry one anytime, if I thought I needed it, just in case!
Two is one, one is none. That being said, I try not to put myself in a situation to be threatened by either four legged or two legged predators. But stuff happens, rabid foxes are common here, and with Amtrak having a terminal about 20 miles away, we get our share of “riff raff” as my dad would say.
At 70 I have finally learned to try and avoid confrontations, but my conscience always gets me in trouble. I hike quite a bit with my Wire Fox Terrier. I carry a cane made out of “ironwood” or hop hornbeam. It’s about 38”, has a blunt tip which I hardened with epoxy. I often swing it when alone and take the heads off dandelions , weed heads, hanging leaves etc.. I bet I could take someone apart with it, it’s deadly . It also is pretty non threatening to most. I don’t need it for walking yet, but I sure feel better when I have it available.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB
I would carry one anytime, if I thought I needed it, just in case!
Two is one, one is none. That being said, I try not to put myself in a situation to be threatened by either four legged or two legged predators. But stuff happens, rabid foxes are common here, and with Amtrak having a terminal about 20 miles away, we get our share of “riff raff” as my dad would say.
At 70 I have finally learned to try and avoid confrontations, but my conscience always gets me in trouble. I hike quite a bit with my Wire Fox Terrier. I carry a cane made out of “ironwood” or hop hornbeam. It’s about 38”, has a blunt tip which I hardened with epoxy. I often swing it when alone and take the heads off dandelions , weed heads, hanging leaves etc.. I bet I could take someone apart with it, it’s deadly . It also is pretty non threatening to most. I don’t need it for walking yet, but I sure feel better when I have it available.
I like your walking stick!

The 2 is 1 & 1 is none is something that I first heard on a photography forum. Wedding photographers live or die by that philosophy.

Reading your post, I could visualize you swinging that stick around during your walk in the woods…Not a pretty picture.

Was at the range yesterday with the 58 New Army and shot probably three dozen rounds through the old girl would have shot a little more but my accuracy was dropping off, even with lubed wads you can only fight off barrel fowling for so many shots before it’s time to clean er up. By the way I usually get really nice accuracy with my round balls but have been casting conicals lately and I have to admit they were doing really well.

why carry a gun in the furst place? I hunt, hike, walk, but motorcycles in shady neighborhoods and never needed a gun. You were given fists, feet, knees, elbows, and a hard forehead, that ought to do it. (unless you’re a drug dealer or carry lots of cash). Carry a gun long enough and someone gets shot or threatened.

Properly loaded mine are as accurate as cartridge guns. When combined with a large Bowie they make excellent self defense tools....if you are living in 1850. Nowadays, carry modern technology.

I know we all probably have our unmentionable but does anyone carry bp revolver for the just incase? My problem with BP revolvers is I never had one that you could hit a big dog with at 15 yards. Or a small car.
Have carried BP revolvers at various times and places for almost 50 years and never felt under armed or at a disadvantage. Never shot a large dog unless it is attacking, or at small cars, unless the driver is trying to run me over. At 25 yards, I have always hit my intended target. Yes, there are better weapons out there, but have lived in states where carrying a modern firearm was not permitted while BPs were only considered dangerous weapons and not firearms. Someone mentioned, in this forum expended caps falling into the action. There are 'cap retainers' that hold the 'busted' cap on the nipple until it is manually removed. And, yes, I have had to engage multiple targets with BP and again, never felt at a disadvantage. Perhaps, it's just my experience, but generally when one draws blood from a would-be aggressor or group thereof, the others, unless totally determined, usually remember some previous engagement. If encountering multiple, determined, aggressors, I have found that performing a 'tactical retreat' aka, unassing the area, as quickly and safely as possible, works very well.

Thanks Appalachian hunter. Got ya covered on that. The only bp I would consider is the ruger. Wish I had got a SS one years ago. I'm just asking about carrying one for maybe wild dogs or some animal that's going a little nuts and wants to confront a person. I had a pack of I believe wild dogs growling and showing teeth at me once where I hunt.
When I was in college 45+ years ago, i volunteered at a local hack-line riding stable, just to ride for free, taking groups out on trails in the Apalachicola National Forest, training green-broke stock, etc. We had two animal-control problems, packs of wild dogs and droves of wild hogs. Dogs would try to get into the stables at night, after two very uoung colts we had. The hogs would run out onto the trail, spooking the horses, often with inexperienced riders aboard. We wouldn't carry while guiding groups, but we often would when riding for fun (IF our horse was gun-broke...!) My sidearm was a borrowed Ruger OA in SS, w/ conicals loaded backwards (flat base forward) so as to deliver maximum shock. Shots were close up, so accuracy wasn't an issue....
Fine for four-legged problems; I'd have used different medicine for any two-legged ones, if that had been an issue.

Last edited:
why carry a gun in the furst place? I hunt, hike, walk, but motorcycles in shady neighborhoods and never needed a gun. You were given fists, feet, knees, elbows, and a hard forehead, that ought to do it. (unless you’re a drug dealer or carry lots of cash). Carry a gun long enough and someone gets shot or threatened.
Reading your post the old saying “it is better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one“ Also…”God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.”

If your wife and young children depended on you to protect them from being killed... what would you carry? I love my cap and ball pistols and love to shoot them and under ideal conditions they would do fine to protect me, but with that being said, knowing over the past 50+ years of shooting them there have been times when they did not operate as dependable as a modern pistol. With my family depending on me... the looks, sound and feel of a cap and ball is not worth putting their lives in jeopardy!

For most of my life that was my attitude. I just don't worry about wildlife but as I've become older and weaker and humans have seemed to have gotten more dangerous I very much like the sense of security carrying gives me. Along with some good training.

Different times, better choices now with modern weapons being more reliable and super fast to reload if needed.
yep, I would bet if Bill had access to say a pair 1911s, they would have been in his sash. But it wasn't so, and he used what was a top choice weapon of his time. Time, tech and knowledge change it's a constant. So, embrace it and not hinder yourself in these matters.

General rule of thumb: All handguns stink compared with a rifle. They are already a compromise in power and accuracy for concealability and portability. If you have other options, then I don't see the point. For hunting with some artistic style, black powder weapons can be cool, neat, a challenge, etc. But self defense is serious work and no time to show off. Forget about heroism, your ego, fantasy roleplay and style. Breaking contact is your only objective as a civilian. The rest is for the pros. Most of the time, achieving a break in contact can be done without a weapon. And if it can't, why compromise any further?

If you're serious about self defense, then get serious about it. Start training. If you're physically capable at all, there are lots of options & styles for training in most small towns. The style of training is less important than just whether or not you train at all. Most of the time, the confidence alone takes you off the list of being an easy mark for evil-doers. And that same mentality will show up in dealing with 4-leggeds too. Most of the time, they understand what's coming faster than people do.

I have a black belt in Shotokan karate but I wear a leather belt and a 1911. There is a violent element in our society that will shoot or stab without conscience for the coat you wear, the shoes on your feet, the car you drive or the wrong condiment on their chicken sandwich. One should be able and prepared to protect those you love and not be a victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back