• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder revolver for protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all probably have our unmentionable but does anyone carry bp revolver for the just incase? My problem with BP revolvers is I never had one that you could hit a big dog with at 15 yards. Or a small
I know we all probably have our unmentionable but does anyone carry bp revolver for the just incase? My problem with BP revolvers is I never had one that you could hit a big dog with at 15 yards. Or a small car.
Yes. I EDC a cap & ball revolver regularly. An oversized Armi San Marco 1858 .44 in the winter mostly, and an 1851 colt snubby with birds head grip in 44 in the warmer months. I also have several NAA bp mini revolvers that fit snuggly in my boot or ankle holster. They go with me when I wanna be inconspicuous.
Sometimes I'll leave the house wearing a stainless ruger vaquero 45 colt in an old west drop holster. I'm in West Texas and have an advantage that noone really cares what you have on your hip. If'in they do, I'll let the sheriff explain their right to mind their own business to them.
Due to an influx of West Coast methheads and all aound degenerates coming into the area over the last few years I've had to draw on a few folks and hold them till a deputy could cart them away. So far the mere sight of a 44 wheel gun pointed at'em has been enough to persuade the two legged varmits to stop what they were doing.

Even though I've been an FFL for over 25 years and have access to just about every modern handgun you could ever wanna shoot, I like carrying the old wheel guns 'cause they fit well in my hand and I'm good with them.

The only rule is: carry what you can shoot best. We practice shooting our handguns with golf balls at 50 yards. If you can hit a golf ball, you can hit a man, or a rabid critter.
I taught my kids to pop shotgun primers with their rough riders at 25 yards when they were little. Raise'm right and they'll be fine when they grow up..
Until I started reading the internet forums, I didn't realize that their were people who owned guns that didn't know how to shoot. It doesn't matter what you carry if you can't hit your target. Capacity doesn't even factor into the equation if one well placed shot (the first shot) ends the threat. I also have several favorite modern handguns that I carry from time to time. I am just as confident with them as I am the old style ones. I've killed all kinds of critters, big and small, with a cap & ball revolver. I know how they work and how to keep from having any problems with them. Mine always go bang. Cap problems are user error, chain fire stories are born from plumb stupidity, and if they don't go bang when you pull the trigger, you did it wrong.
Carry what is comfortable in your hand, and what you can shoot accurately. The only way anyone can know what that is, is to practice until it is second nature.

My every day carry guns are modern. However, with that said;

Long ago, back in the 1980's I was stationed in Yuma, Arizona. Two things -

1. I stopped to backup a local police officer who had done a traffic stop on an "outlaw" type biker. That biker guy had a replica Colt 1860 Army holstered on his hip.
2, Across the border in the tiny village of Algodones, Baja California, Mexico the lone village policia carried an original Colt dragoon! !!!

I'm not up to speed on the current laws regarding convicted felons and firearms, but could it be that someone who is not permitted to possess a modern firearm, maybe can still carry a blackpowder weapon?
That can vary by state. If this applies to anyone here be sure to know your state laws before doing so.

why carry a gun in the furst place? I hunt, hike, walk, but motorcycles in shady neighborhoods and never needed a gun. You were given fists, feet, knees, elbows, and a hard forehead, that ought to do it. (unless you’re a drug dealer or carry lots of cash). Carry a gun long enough and someone gets shot or threatened.
Good luck in the real World, youre going to need it.

For most of my life that was my attitude. I just don't worry about wildlife but as I've become older and weaker and humans have seemed to have gotten more dangerous I very much like the sense of security carrying gives me. Along with some good training.
To the person asking. Why carry a gun when you have fists, feet, etc,? WHY? Because, fists, feet, etc. do not work against some POS that is carrying a gun or a knife or club. Not being Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris or some other martial arts whiz, a firearms gives us less gifted and older people a fighting chance. A very old expression goes. 'You can't karate chop a .357.' So why even try?

My wife got the tips of two fingers severely lacerated last month fighting a couple pit dogs off her papillon dog walking the track at the hospital.
Owners who let their dogs run wild or abandon them to feed themselves are the issue.
She carries at all times unless at home now.
The little dog whose aptly named lucky was entirely unharmed.
018.jpg

Once upon a time, I was a Colorado State Trooper, if I had contacted you carrying a BP revolver, I would have treated you just like any other armed contact. BP/unmentionable will still leave you dead as the proverb
I guess any type of side arm is better than no side arm, but now of days why hinder yourself when better options are available.

why carry a gun in the furst place? I hunt, hike, walk, but motorcycles in shady neighborhoods and never needed a gun. You were given fists, feet, knees, elbows, and a hard forehead, that ought to do it. (unless you’re a drug dealer or carry lots of cash). Carry a gun long enough and someone gets shot or threatened.
If we have to explain you will never get it..........

I have an unmentionable or two, one for carry, and I wouldn't hesitate to swap for a BP revolver but size is the problem. I can stash an NAA in the pocket with the car keys and I'm good to go on all appointmets etc. Nobody knows. My sherrif or 1849 is just a bit big and a lil underpowered. After all when we need to use it what are we to say to the first responders? "I just wanted to stop him" NOTHING ELSE. BP will certianly stop him. They also say one side of the story is better than two so you pays yo money and you takes yo choice. Just dont make that choice from any closer than the shot that just stopped him/it.

yep, I would bet if Bill had access to say a pair 1911s, they would have been in his sash. But it wasn't so, and he used what was a top choice weapon of his time. Time, tech and knowledge change it's a constant. So, embrace it and not hinder yourself in these matters.
Wild Bill preferred his navy colts over the 1873 peace maker. He did have some cartridge guns when he died but trusted loading his own powder and ball more. So according to my research, he did not go with what was new or latest. He used what he trusted.

Wild Bill preferred his navy colts over the 1873 peace maker. He did have some cartridge guns when he died but trusted loading his own powder and ball more. So according to my research, he did not go with what was new or latest. He used what he trusted.
We like what we know and trust. The change to cartridges probably was not dramatic enough to warrant him embracing them. A 1911 might have gotten some consideration.

Good luck in the real World, youre going to need it.
Well, I am 91 years old and have been all over the world. My co-workers called me "the walker" as I walked all around new places. I walked for hours at night in Istanbul, Turkey and in many states in the USA, Germany, Italy, France [during a terrorist period], Mexico City at 2:00 A.M. etc.. I was only threatened once. That was by a drunk American in Mexico. I am still comfortable without a weapon anywhere. Only once did I carry a revolver, when I was hired as security for nighttime at a large county fair in Idaho and I carried BP. I do carry a BP revolver while hunting. I think that often, when you carry, you open yourself up to becoming dead. Just my 70 years of travel and recreation including 22 years in the military. Polecat 🦨

Well, I am 91 years old and have been all over the world. My co-workers called me "the walker" as I walked all around new places. I walked for hours at night in Istanbul, Turkey and in many states in the USA, Germany, Italy, France [during a terrorist period], Mexico City at 2:00 A.M. etc.. I was only threatened once. That was by a drunk American in Mexico. I am still comfortable without a weapon anywhere. Only once did I carry a revolver, when I was hired as security for nighttime at a large county fair in Idaho and I carried BP. I do carry a BP revolver while hunting. I think that often, when you carry, you open yourself up to becoming dead. Just my 70 years of travel and recreation including 22 years in the military. Polecat 🦨
God bless you, great post.

Personally I would be ill at ease walking , especially after dark, in America's high crime, large cities. (Mostly Democrat controlled and with the most strict gun control laws)

When I was in the USN (1973-1977) I had a good friend who lived in Chicago, he is Puerto Rican. He came to my home on a weekend liberty (I live in PA, 30+ miles from a large city). We went shooting while he was visiting and other things of course. When we got back to the ship I asked him what he thought about where I lived. He said that he was amazed that he didn't see any "cops".

He also told me, at a different time, (remember this was in the mid 70s) that if I were to go to his neighborhood without him or another Puerto Rican that I "would be in trouble".

Better safe than sorry I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back