• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder revolver for protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Jim I agree with you 100% because when and if that time should ever arise I sure as heck am not going to want to be nostalgic and hope maybe the dam thing is going to go bang, I’ll take the S&W 686 .357 because That’s money in the bank for Sure.

I've been at the range many a time and watched people struggle with rounds jamming in their modern handgun..... I look over and say out loud 'ah, got a cap jam huh?' and I know they have no idea what I'm talking about Haha. Point is : if the operator does his/her due diligence AND its a quality gun they can all be reliable.

If he did reload daily this would be one year of supplies if he carried 6 loaded chambers
2190 balls
2190 caps
4.6 lbs of powder
Seems reasonable enough.
I've been at the range many a time and watched people struggle with rounds jamming in their modern handgun..... I look over and say out loud 'ah, got a cap jam huh?' and I know they have no idea what I'm talking about Haha. Point is : if the operator does his/her due diligence AND its a quality gun they can all be reliable.
I have certainty had quite a few 22 misfires and it is a bit easier to cycle a wheel gun to the next round.

I carry a 1858 sheriffs for dogs and coyotes while hiking with the wife and little dogs.
Very dependable never jams hits where I aim it and circumvents firearm regulations not being a firearm and all.
Wouldn't pick it for a firefight unless I needed smoke cover to skedaddle.
Humm Your statement is sideways.
Carrying a loaded BP anything unless hunting or at the range is considered carrying a firearm.
You discharge in a park,state land ect. You could end up paying a fine. Loosing the gun maybe jail.
Lots of BP sales the past 4 years which I figured guys couldn't pass a NICS . So the figured a BP gun in OK.
Bad juju unless your state is giving you 2ndamend relief, you may not even be able to own a muzzleloader.
BPBReloading FFL

Carrying a loaded BP anything unless hunting or at the range is considered carrying a firearm.
You discharge in a park,state land ect. You could end up paying a fine. Loosing the gun maybe jail.
Lots of BP sales the past 4 years which I figured guys couldn't pass a NICS . So the figured a BP gun in OK.
Bad juju unless your state is giving you 2ndamend relief, you may not even be able to own a muzzleloader.
BPBReloading FFL
State laws vary. But regardless of the law a disqualified person found carrying loaded would probably still find themselves explaining it to a judge because the police oftentimes don't even know the laws they enforce themselves.

Well, I am 91 years old and have been all over the world. My co-workers called me "the walker" as I walked all around new places. I walked for hours at night in Istanbul, Turkey and in many states in the USA, Germany, Italy, France [during a terrorist period], Mexico City at 2:00 A.M. etc.. I was only threatened once. That was by a drunk American in Mexico. I am still comfortable without a weapon anywhere. Only once did I carry a revolver, when I was hired as security for nighttime at a large county fair in Idaho and I carried BP. I do carry a BP revolver while hunting. I think that often, when you carry, you open yourself up to becoming dead. Just my 70 years of travel and recreation including 22 years in the military. Polecat 🦨
Different world now of days, carrying a gun whatever type is and should always be a last and final choice for an altercation, if you carry the correct way no one knows what you have, situational awareness is your first line of defense. Never put yourself in a situation you cannot get out of. Have CCW carried for close to 25 years never been in a situation where I even thought about going to the gun. My past employment of 26 years has now mandated that I carry, not so much for me but my loved ones Made a bunch of enemies those years and not willing to take a chance in order to protect them.

BPBReloading FFL
Not according to the sheriff the states attorney or the feds.
Not a firearm is legally that.
Would I wave it around or carry it somewhere obviously no go.......no same as any pistol.
Would I carry it on my hip in Montana.......absolutely.

The old saying: better to have something and (hopefully) not ever need it than need it and not have it. Lots of messed up 2-legged animals + rabid animals/aggressive dogs etc. I was attacked by a rabid fox in the doorway of our garage, was not carrying but wish I was. What a crazy experience that was! 😳

I think the answers are different when the question is being asked in a Traditional Muzzleloader "Hunting" section. For hunting a Remington 1858 is very comforting and fun to carry along for bear, lion, tooth and fang.
Or if you want to pop a coyote, or other vermin when you're hunting grouse, rabbit, ect with a light smoothbore.

Seems a lot of answers given here aren't hunting thoughts. And while I'm entertained by everyone's answers, Most of the impressions presented here aren't about "hunting, at all, instead they drift into the dark places of back alleys, cities, and wicked Folk.

If you dont use drugs and don't live in the hood ghetto you won't need a gun. If you have one your more likely to instigate trouble and end up shot. Here in Vermont the only people getting shot are drug dealers and their junkie buyers. Granted if one gets into my home I will blow his brains out.

I started carrying concealed when the grandkids starting going hiking with us. When they are with me I AM RESPONSIBLE for their safety and as I get older I am less willing to go hands on with a thug or aggressive dog. Since covid I have on two occasions had to place my hand on my sidearm, once for two very aggressive black labs and once for a very aggressive and drunk jackass. If I couldn’t carry an unmentionable I would for sure carry a BP revolver. If that is mot an option then pepper spray along with a club will have to do. Maybe I’ll get a nice war club as a backup.

If you dont use drugs and don't live in the hood ghetto you won't need a gun. If you have one your more likely to instigate trouble and end up shot. Here in Vermont the only people getting shot are drug dealers and their junkie buyers. Granted if one gets into my home I will blow his brains out.
Tell that to some people in churches, synagogues, movie theaters, grocery stores, etc.

Do you get me drift..??

Not according to the sheriff the states attorney or the feds.
Not a firearm is legally that.
Would I wave it around or carry it somewhere obviously no go.......no same as any pistol.
Would I carry it on my hip in Montana.......absolutely.
Better check your state/local laws! The new Montana carry regs. Still have teeth.
Stating YOU can carry in Montana isn't a full answer.

well, I guess living in fear hasn’t the same appeal for me as for you. A person can talk themselves into being afraid of ladybugs if they want to.
Really don't think living in fear has anything to do with it, As I stated it's a different world out there today, I call it an insurance policy that hopefully I will never have to cash in on. REMEBER THE SAYING, ITS NOT IF IT WILL HAPPEN, BUT WHEN IT WILL HAPPEN. Think of it this way your loved ones are laying at your feet dead because some A-HOLE killed them, if you were armed perhaps, you could have saved them. Not a situation I would want to live with the rest of my life.

Better check your state/local laws! The new Montana carry regs. Still have teeth.
Stating YOU can carry in Montana isn't a full answer.
A full answer to what for whom exactly?
I spoke to my local sheriff and state attorney in person.........very small town.
I spoke to a rep from the states attorney on the phone.
The feds say this.down below.
"Under the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, any cartridge firearm made in or before 1898 ("pre-1899") is classified as an "antique", and is generally outside of Federal jurisdiction, as administered and enforced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE)."
Montana says no guns that fire contemporary cartridges for felons........is that what you mean?
Last updated January 5, 2023 . Beginning February 2021, Montana no longer requires a permit to carry a concealed weapon in public. Now, the state allows anyone who can legally possess a firearm to carry carry one in public, without a background check.
Jan 5, 2023

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back