• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blessed with pork

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgilmore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my first hog with my traditions .50 Deer Hunter. I started muzzle loading back in november and in december took two deer and now the good lord has blessed me with some pork for the freezer. I took all three with PRB and 80gr of pyrodex. Man i love this traditional BP.

:hmm: you got pork? where's the pics? :blah: send'em to me I'll post if ya can't....need a story too....once upon a time....

Congrats!! :thumbsup:

lead chunker said:
Got my first hog with my traditions .50 Deer Hunter. I started muzzle loading back in november and in december took two deer and now the good lord has blessed me with some pork for the freezer. I took all three with PRB and 80gr of pyrodex. Man i love this traditional BP.

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

lead chunker said:

I sure hope you saved the head for tamales! None better.

Waidmanns Heil from Germany!

These Deerhunter rifles from Traditions make honour to their name! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

By Golly! :shocked2: It R a PIG! :haha: Congrats LC! :thumbsup:

leadchuckerpig.jpg

The story starts like this. I went out in hopes of filling my doe tag, I got into the woods about 3:00pm and headed into my best stand in a hard wood bottom, about 4:00pm a group of hogs many in the 300 pound range passed thru at 75 yards, after about 15 min. I could hear them feeding in a creek bottom 100 yards to my left, after leaveing my better jugement in my stand i set out on foot to make a stalk,i walked in very slow and had only went 40 yards when i seen movment to my left, it was another group of hogs headed in the same direction as the first group. I had one big sow give me a clear shot at 40 yards, and when my smoke pole let loose the woods came alive with pork, i had many run passed me at 15 yards. My blood pressure has never been so hi. But in the end she only ran 50 yards, easy recovery.

A group of friends of mine are planning a hog hunt the end of this month and I am thinking of going. I would like to use my Hawken style .54 rifle.
Any suggestions you can give me in terms of shooting them?

Thank you
BillK

Nice hog. This may sound wierd but how does it taste compared to domestic pork? I may go hunt in Kentucky for Turkey and Hog. I would look for a hog your size to shoot say 100-150lb ideally since I hear the old boars are tough and taste very strong.

:thumbsup: Way to go. My wife shoots a Deerhunter too and likes it a lot. I put fiber optic sights on it for her. That rifle shoots anything I have ever fed it, but she uses .490 round balls. Wish we had hogs up here.

That's great!! I love hog hunting. Not many here in MI unless you go to a small game ranch.You all in the southern states are blessed with a overabundance of them. I state this knowing that they are quite a problem for the farmers, etc. But they are there for hunters to take advantage of if they are willing to. Also, a lot of ranches make extra bucks off them by charging hunters to hunt them. I've hunted them in TN when I got the chance to.

I find the wild pork to be very good. the best results come from iceing the meet down for about three to four days to allow it to bleed out before processing. myself i would eat wild pork before domestic any day, sow that is, boar tend to be a little musky.

A hogs vitals are not in the same place as a deers, on a hog its lungs are behind the shoulder blade about center and the heart is about three inches up the front shoulder from the lower chest. for best results shoot for a head shot, just below the ear, or where the head and neck meet, there you have the spine and main arterys.

Back