• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry balling - why won't it come out??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacher

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I know, there are a gazillion posts on this topic, and I've read many, and have tried a few of the "solutions", but first time ever shooting my DeerStalker and on my 13th round I realized I forgot the powder... FFWD 2 hours, penetrating oil in the barrel and a dozen cap shots with BP down the nipple, and the ball is about 1/2 out, but it ain't going any further... My original ramrod isn't worth a manure (only one I have) to get tension with the ball puller to bite into the ball, and I don't have a CO2 discharger either... Suggestions?

Planning to go to the gun shop tomorrow to see if they can get it out before ML season opens Thursday... Sorry for bringing this issue up, but I seem to be at a dead end. Thank you

Well unfortunately you are learning some lessons the hard way.

Buy a new rod at the gun shop tomorrow so in the future you can handle it yourself.

flleener

Depending on where you are. Compressed air at a service station a rubber tipped air nozzle and blow it out. As stated before new ram rod.

Two real options;
1) pull the nipple and work powder in from the nipple end. Re-install the nipple. Fully seat the ball and fire it out. Might have to try a few times to figure out how much powder it will take.
2) remove the nipple and screw a grease nipple in its place (of same thread size). Use greasegun to pump the ball out. Remove all grease and fully clean.
Walk

I know, there are a gazillion posts on this topic, and I've read many, and have tried a few of the "solutions", but first time ever shooting my DeerStalker and on my 13th round I realized I forgot the powder... FFWD 2 hours, penetrating oil in the barrel and a dozen cap shots with BP down the nipple, and the ball is about 1/2 out, but it ain't going any further... My original ramrod isn't worth a manure (only one I have) to get tension with the ball puller to bite into the ball, and I don't have a CO2 discharger either... Suggestions?

Planning to go to the gun shop tomorrow to see if they can get it out before ML season opens Thursday... Sorry for bringing this issue up, but I seem to be at a dead end. Thank you
Just take out the breach plug & drive the ball out.
Keith.

Depending on where you are. Compressed air at a service station a rubber tipped air nozzle and blow it out. As stated before new ram rod.
I have a compressor, but not sure the nozzle is rubber tipped...

Sounds like at this point you are bunching up the patch on the way up.
Try this. Pour an ounce or two of water down the barrel. Let it rest for 5 or 10. Then, with the ramrod, push the ball down to the bottom. Now put on the ball puller and bring it up and out.

I have a compressor, but not sure the nozzle is rubber tipped...
Some little air compressors come with small hand blowers that have a rubber tip which lets you push in the nipple hole and use the compressor to blow out the ball. I've done this when I've been in your position. Believe me if you shoot enough it's going to happen. Also If you haven't got the area between the ball and breech wet from penetrating oil you can add enough powder to blow it out as long as you can push the ball back to the breech . I wouldn't want to put too much powder in the nipple hole with a space between the breech and ball. That might get ugly. Good luck.

I put the barrel in a vice (protected of coarse), and attached the ramrod w/puller to drill and able to bite into the bullet. With vice grips turning the rod it is NOT budging... Rod is fiberglass & I have to be careful I don't twist it off (my luck)... Just put more penetrating oil to soak for awhile. Should I be concerned using the drill & the puller going into the back of the barrel? I marked the ram rod after powder, patch & ball were in to gauge the depth... I should be ok...

Sounds like at this point you are bunching up the patch on the way up.
Try this. Pour an ounce or two of water down the barrel. Let it rest for 5 or 10. Then, with the ramrod, push the ball down to the bottom. Now put on the ball puller and bring it up and out.
Yes, I did push it to the bottom. Puller now has a tight grip, but it won't move. You make sense with the patch bunch up, and that may be why it's not moving... Not sure

I took a old inner tube cut off the stem and put one end in the air hose and the other on the nipple

Yes, I did push it to the bottom. Puller now has a tight grip, but it won't move. You make sense with the patch bunch up, and that may be why it's not moving... Not sure
Good. Now you got it to move again. Try a patch with Crisco on it to grease up the bore. Then, go back to the ball puller and screw into the ball again. Pull it up a few inches, then down a few. And repeat. Gradually make the strokes a little longer. You want to look like you are polishing the bore with that ball.
If you can move it up and down you can work it to the top. Its only cloth and lead. You will get it out.

OK, I know I make things sound simple, but they are. This is like the thread about cleaning your firearms, it is not that hard. I have dry ball many times and my friends have dry ball. Both rifle and smoothbore and one time cap and ball .36. I do one of two things, if its a cap gun, pull the nipple and pour a little powder (don't matter 2f,3f, or 4f) in the hole replace nipple and shoot it out. Works ever time for me. Flintlock rifle or smooth bore pour some liquid lube down the barrel and pull the ball, comes out each time. Sometimes stuffing some powder in the touch hole also works. Never had a problem pulling a ball. Now I must say I don't have to hammer my ball, patch down the bore, maybe those that do that, pulling a ball may be a problem.

Compressor didn't work, at least the rubber tip hose one I have... Tried pulling the ball again, and the piece of the rod the puller screws into came off. I was able to retrieve it. I'm at a loss at this point, other than take to a gun shop. This is my first ML, but I've been around all kind of guns all my life. I've seen many videos & read many forums & directions that came with my Lyman, and I agree "this is not difficult..." Ball is not super tight going in. It is a 50cal, .490 ball, .0150 patch. Standard stuff. I'll try the BP in the nipple again in the morning. Thank you all for your input. I very much appreciate.

Go to TOTW(or your favorite catalog house) and order a 3/8" steel bench rod and a set of their tapered ball pullers. Track's pullers are deep threaded and tapered. They grab better than the straight threaded wood screw types. IMO Those wooden and fiberglass rods are only good for loading and light wiping.

Had you not used penetrating oil, you could have removed the nipple, worked in a few grains of powder, screwed the nipple back into place, seated the ball and shot it out. Now, you will need to get a decent rod & ball-screw and get it out the hard way (though using a screw is actually the easy way). Next time, I suggest asking before you leap without looking....

Even now you may have enough penetrating oil in the breech to foul the powder.

You need to dry out the breech area.

Remove the nipple. Use several pipe cleaners dipped in rubbing alcohol. You need to get the breech dried out as much as possible before you try the dose of powder to blow the ball out.

Do use a cleaning rod to wipe the bore as free of fouling as you can to reduce the restrictions in the barrel.

By now the ball has such a big hole in it the ball puller may not grab the ball.
Quite buying more rods and jags just take out the breech plug , and get it ALL out. Make sure the breech plug is square with the flats when putting it back

A good ball puller is a joy forever. I "doctored" mine up with a needle file to make sure it had a sharp tip and good threads. Works with the rammer under the barrel or I find one that does.

There is one "desperation act" for cap guns. A Zirk fitting (NOT the tapered/self-tapping kind) has the same threads as some nipples (like T/C - I believe 1/4-28). Pull the nipple, put in the Zirk, and pump in grease until the ball pops out. Messy but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back