• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first muzzleloader shotgun kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,

i got an old shotgun from my grandpa, i took it up to log cabin to0 see if it was still shot able. they said it was ok so i got shooting supplies. i had 50 grains of pyrodex with 50 grains of six shot. does anyone have a load that works good in their gun . any ideas please. Just experimenting with the load still. here is a chipmunk that the load got tested on
shotone.jpg

We need to know the gauge of the shotgun, and the make of the gun, or some indication of its age, and whether the barrels are made from modern steel, or from damascus steel before we can help you with load information.

14 guage...domasicas barrel....i forget how old the guy from lo cabin muzzleloading said it was...but its in good shape.

My go to gun has been an original 14ga. with Damascus (technically mine are twist barrels, but everyone here calls them Damascus barrels)barrels, that I have now used for all my shotgun hunting and shooting for maybe 6yrs. It was probably made in around 1840-50. My dove and clay load is 1oz. of 7 1/2's and 70gr. of 2F. For rabbit or squirrel, I would use 6's. I use one over powder card, a fiber cushion that is cut to 1/4" thick and lubed with olive oil and one over shot card. Turkey load is 1 1/8oz. of 6's and 75gr. of 2F. Here I use one over powder card and one over shot card and no lubed cushion, as that will open the pattern up. Now, this is what works in my gun. You will need to experiment to see if your gun likes the same loads.

Back