• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grouse hunting with trade gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottRoush

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been searching, but I just ain't good at it I guess because I know it's on here. But I'm wondering how to set up my kit for hunting birds with my 20 gauge trade gun (smoothbore). I'm new to shooting shot from flintlock.. but I know how I'm gonna load it at the range.. but I'm wondering what people do to simplify and make things more efficient when hunting. With the bird cycle peaking, I've been going through a lot of shells in my o/u the last couple of years so I want to make sure I have my act together.

I've heard of people making up charges with shot in paper rolls, etc. Is that a good idea?

Anyway... I have to figure this out. My dog is gonna be ****** if she has to wait for me fumbling around loading when there are birds to kick up.

I don't bother with premeasuring for my smoothie loads. I have a little "flap" pocket on the front panel of my bag that holds the wads securely and within easy reach. I don't even bother with a shot snake any more. I just have a leather flask about the size of a lemon, which holds a pound of shot. My horn is small and fits loose in my pouch along with the shot flask. I use the same measure for both shot and powder. I can load about as fast with that layout as I can with any shot/powder premeasure setup I've tried.

I'm shooting ptarmigan rather than ruffies, but with a 20 gauge inside 30 yards a 70 grain measure of 2f and the same measure of #7 1/2 shot (1 oz according to this chart) is a dandy "grouse" load.

My grouse load this season: 70gr 3f, one hard card and one prelubed fiber wad, then an oz of 6's in a paper shot cartridge.

I use the parchment paper sold in grocery stores for baking. I roll one thickness around a 14" length of 3/4" dowel and glue the edges. I then tie off sections of this with thread in about 2" lengths. Pour in the shot and tie off the end. Quick and easy.

With this method the cartridge fits tightly enough that an over shot card is not necessary.

Good luck. We've been in a down cycle for several years now, hoping we start back up soon. Seeing more snowshoe rabbits this year though, so that's good.

Thanks guys... that helps a lot.

Guess I will try a few cartridges and see how it goes.

I'm just excited to get out into the woods with my flinter rather than that bulky Russian o/u 12 gauge. Probably get fewer birds though... who cares? The dog will.

Good luck! Other than elk hunting, that is my all-time favorite. Only I hunt them with a rifle, usually flushing them (blues). Some will land in the trees, and then I will try to sneak up on them and pop them in the head. Fun, and great tasting!

I take em from trees too... but my pointer (French Brittany) will hold them for me. They typically won't flush when they are up in a tree and my dog is pointing em. Not as fun as shooting on the wing... but better for the table.

Since I'm new to smoothbores and loading em, I've got a simple question... How do you use the cards? I have some and I tried to ram one in, but it just wanted to turn sideways and stick to the upper part of the inside of the barrel. :confused: :redface: I've always used a patch and a ball...

ScottRoush said:
Since I'm new to smoothbores and loading em, I've got a simple question... How do you use the cards? I have some and I tried to ram one in, but it just wanted to turn sideways and stick to the upper part of the inside of the barrel.

I just push them down a little below the muzzle with my finger so they stay flat, then seat them the rest of the way with the rod.

But you make me wonder if your rod is too small relative to the bore. I'm using "shotguns" rather than fowlers, but with a nearly bore-size jag on the rod. There's no tendency of the cards to tip.

yeah... it's too small then... okay... I kinda figured that was the case. The cards work fine if I put a ball in and then sit the card on top..

I may have to make an adaptor for my rod... or just use wadding.

If your rod tip is threaded, you can also leave a jag on it, provided of course it doesn't interfere with shooting. I have jags on all the rods for all my guns, but I know folks who use bare rods for seating, too.

If your rod tip isn't threaded but there's room for a jag, it might be worth changing to a threaded tip or even getting a replacement rod. Seems easier than putting together an adapter, but I may not be picturing the same solution as you are.

I keep loose wadding or cards in the bag and a horn of shot, I can load quckly bu measuring powder and dumping in then can feel what wadding of cards I need and pull them out and hold in hand whle measuring and dumping in shot adding cards or wads as needed, I usually omit the fiber wad and use one or two over powder cards one can get pretty quick with practice.

Yeah my tip is threaded. I was thinking I could screw on a piece with a larger diameter. I have a cleaning jag.. but it no larger in diameter than my rod.

Is there any advantage of cards over loose wadding?

My birding gear works pretty well. I make up a tin of wads and cards and then have a powder flask and shot flask - each with a measure attached.

Flint tin
HPIM2568.jpg

Percussion tin
HPIM0789.jpg

Flask and shot pouch.
HPIM1208.jpg

The plug of the shot pouch holds 1-1/8oz shot (note that little pouch holds a hair over 1 pound - more than a dozen shots worth).
HPIM1204.jpg

HPIM1205.jpg

A variation is a shot snake - but I find these get in the way when pushing cover.
HPIM0792.jpg

"Is there any advantage of cards over loose wadding?"

I have not really put both to a good measured test but logic and most of the posts I have seen suggest that cards will pattern better than wadding, probably the over powder catrds are more important here than the over shot ones?

Thanks a lot Stumpkiller... that is very helpful.

I will be checking out some shot pattern tomorrow evening.. sounds like I should experiment.

Just a quick heads up because I was in error in my first post. I use a 5/8 dowel not 3/4. I also find that the paper shot carts gives me a tighter pattern than loose shot. Also tends to hold leading of the bore to a minimum.

Back