• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HC barrel finish for a 1770s...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the topic lives on!

What about actual period evidence? Some/maybe most of the best-preserved colonial period longrifles are those captured by the British and taken back as souvenirs of war. This is obviously a small sampling. But these guns were preserved, for the most part (exceptions exist) as they were when captured. They did not receive another 20-60 years of field use. One of the Oerter rifles captured by England is bright in barrel and lock finish.

I re-rifled several original barrels that were browned, all right - above the wood. Below the wood they were not. Tarnished, yes. Browned - not. A clear line where the external surfaces got “browned” by exposure to elements for decades.

Few people come at a topic without a bias. I’ll make the wild guess that some of the most passionate supporters of “of course they were browned” have one or more black powder rifles with browned barrels and zero with barrels in the white.

In the end, some keep exploring and learning, and others are content with what they are certain of, often quoting what experts wrote 20, 30, 40, maybe 50 years ago.

Wow, let's make more assumptions, shall we?

As we are getting way off the thread topic, I will not engage with you any more... (Presses ignore button)
I knew Lynton Mackenzie when he was in the UK and an active member of the MLAGB ,then after he got lured to New Orlean's . Then he did' Friendship' shoots along with the other worthies mentioned before the 'Gunmakers Hall' got built we had great' jam?' sessions in an dusty empty booth Lewis Sancez did a carving design talk & Lyton talked about Engraveing . He did'nt like the English curiously naive game engraveing. often found. But I stood up for that style, Birds with flowers & a fence Cross eyed lions ect . A young Mike Lee had a booth close to George Shumways . Thats going back.
' Old' Rudyard
PS as to the actual debate Ime not Ama dent either way if they want it white they get it .if brown they get that . But that's mostly your long rifle sorts . Ive never focused on them, made enough though . Once made a Lancaster style Wilson UK made export rifle for De Witt Bailey .Talk about 'Coals to New Castle 'Don't know where it got to ' Cositrike' might know ?.
R

Last edited:
Rich,

Do you have any pics of a modern iron barrel in final finished form?

Curious what level of polish it would have and how it would “grey” with use and reasonable care.. compared to the modern steel that we all have experience with now.

Back