• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP! Prussian Blue in wife's carpet!`

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did not know where to post this so, I thought this would be the most logical.

Somehow, I was building a gun and using prussian blue for inletting purposes, and tracked a couple spots into the carpet.

Has anyone a good method of removing this? Need your help.

A brief internet search turned up Sodium Hydroxide (lye) which after it dries leaves crystals which is easily removed by citric acid (lemon juice). If you destroy the carpet in the process, you can always replace it.

Hire a carpet pro. He can cut a piece out of the closet and use it to patch your stain. IF you saved a piece from the install he can use that.

IF it is only a little dab, let it dry and cut the blue nap. Solvents will only spread it and make the problem worse. Harsh chemicals will change the dye color in the carpet.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. I hear cruises are cheaper this time of year, maybe Mexico? Or, deny everything, demand proof, make counter accusations. That was always my go to position, when I was married........

Somehow, I was building a gun and using prussian blue for inletting purposes, and tracked a couple spots into the carpet.

I just Googled and here is a response:

Sodium hydroxide destroys prussian blue almost instantly leaving a residue of fine grained but readily soluble ferric oxide hydrate which is easily removed with citric acid, oxalic acid, dilute HCl, dilute phosphoric etc. Thanks Boffis, that worked perfectly!Mar 9, 2007

Larry

I found a small blowlamp very useful.

Well, I reached out to the manufacturer, Permetex. They got back to me and said "... you can carefully try acetone". Not a very positive answer, but will try it.

Back