• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tick treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not, but infections of other kinds can be had by leaving the head of the tick in the skin, or both Lyme and other diseases as well as secondary infections can be transmitted by squeezing the tick too hard trying to just pull it out.
This is why I like to have something I can dab on them with the end of my finger that will make them let go on their own,

Ticks and chiggers are bad here this year. The dogs bring ticks inside about every day. I like Sawyers tick and insect repellent. I treat a few pairs of outside pants, a pair of shoes and boots. Only had one on me that was biting. Chiggers on the other hand have covered my ankles and a few up my legs and sides.

They're getting a lot worse in a lot of areas and also a lot of areas that never had any ticks before

It appears cedarwood oil is the primary essential oil ingredient in Attack Tick vs more conventional essential oils in the Tick Attack.
Going back to Horace Kephart, he mentions it on page 248:

Attachments

• uiug-30112023506063-248-1717689470.pdf
    266 KB · Views: 0
My youngest son [69] has suffered aftereffects of Lyme disease for twenty years +. He has frequently been treated and it helps but does not cure. Your decision.

A lot of insect repellent comes in small bottles and is quite expensive.
For mixing up your own insect repellent these larger 4 oz bottles of this hand sanitizer can be had for 25 to 50 cents each and can be used to carry larger amounts of insect repellent,
they should be labeled with a sharpie or something that will not wear off so you will remember what it is a few days after you've mixed it up and put it in your possibles.
IMG_20240606_211529.jpg

Late to the party have not logged in to MLF in a while.

Firm believer in permethrin on clothes. I buy the 10% Gordons at TSC and mix it 20:1 with distilled water in a 1-L graduated spray bottle. Spray 2-3 sets of clothes, hang to dry on the clothesline. When one set gets dirty you've got a spare.

For on the skin I've been using picaridin. Works good on the flying pests and won't melt plastics like DEET does. I had some DEET leak in my tackle box and it melted a bunch of my lures

Yrs. ago , I was miles back in the Pa. woods. I came up on a tiny table with ticks seated around it. They were doing shots of DEET , and bragging about how many humans they wanted to bite. Permethrin is the best tick defence. If you can't find any other source , we used to buy pure Permethrin from Tractor Supply , and mix it as per directions for our hunting camp use. Nowadays , Walmart and many other stores have it in convenient sprays. Remember , if the temperature out is 40 deg. F. and above , ticks are active. If you hunt in brush , ticks are there , as well as grassy areas. it's good to carry some Doxycycline antibiotic , and alcohol to sanitize the wound , if you're not close to a clinic where you can get it . It's what the Doctor gave me when I was bitten . Always call a medical professional ASAP for advice , if you have a tick bite. I'm not a medical professional , but a survivor of many tick bites. Always treat a tick bite as a serious event.

I agree with Oldwood . Years ago a friend told me of his experience with Permethrin. He went fishing with another friend, he had treated his clothes with Repel he got from wally world. He told me that the ticks were jumping from him to the other guy. I've used repel ever since and have not been bothered by ticks. I believe that the tick is the state bug of the Poconos!

Bud........Another caviot about ticks. In the early 2000's , there were some research papers written on tick behaviors. One study claimed ticks were drawn to the brown color like Carhart coveralls and jackets. Stands to reason , because for years , my hunting buddy wore his work Carharts hunting and at the end of the day , he had ticks on his clothes. As an experiment , we tried Deet on his overalls , and he still got ticks. Then , we went to Tractor supply and got Permethrin concentrate for animals , horses , mixed it up , put it in a spray bottle , and sprayed his overalls. Once dry , we picked a warm day and sent my friend back into the mountain Laurel for a stroll. He observed the ticks would try to head up for the high ground around his neck , and peal off onto the ground. We have used Permethrin ever since , and cut the number of tick attacks to a minimum. Just be observant , and cautious. I had a deer season ladder stand 100 ft. out of a friend's back yard , and in an open woods. I went up in the stand for an afternoon hunt on a warm day, About 10 PM that evening , my eye was itching , showed my nurse , wife. Off to the ER to have a 1 MM tick removed from my eyelashes. The Doc. there had a tiny plastic crowbar that fit the tick perfectly , and just hooked on to it , and rotated the little offender out. Wife went on line and ordered a package of the tick removal devices , so we can do it anywhere we go camping. They work for our dog , too.

Off to the ER to have a 1 MM tick removed from my eyelashes. The Doc. there had a tiny plastic crowbar that fit the tick perfectly , and just hooked on to it , and rotated the little offender out. Wife went on line and ordered a package of the tick removal devices , so we can do it anywhere we go camping. They work for our dog
You talking about these? I keep the mini crowbar tick removers around the house and with my outdoor stuff. Replaces the two credit card method.
1715909073910.jpeg

Every deer, all season, hot or cold, I always see ticks. They release when the blood flow stops and the deer starts to cool down. My taxidermist had a heck of time with ticks 2 years ago. He said every head and hide was crawling with ticks.

SDSmith.......Yup , the only difference from yours to mine , is the color. Mine are light green. ...........................To add to the last two posts about ticks on deer killed. I have hung them up in a place w/a concrete floor , head down. Came back the next morning , and the floor is covered w/ ticks that had jumped ship from the dead deer. As far as using Skin So Soft , yep good tick deterant , but stinks too much for hunting critters that detect you through smell.

Back