• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of you really go out and hunt with the traditional clothing. I am not talking just the rifles, clothing period correct, etc.? I am trying to find a hunt that is based on everything traditional, from the clothing I will wear to poably a Diamond shelter at camp. I would love to find a Elk hunt in this manor. Any ideas? Do any of you currently hunt this way?

Ok, I understand the hunter orange. But what about everything else?? Hunter orange these days is a fine without it.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys that do it but it really makes no sense for me to, in my situation. So I'll settle for just the right rifle and bag.

ML_Wool.JPG

Lot of us do that down here in Texas. Private property means no hunter orange. Traditional clothing, traditional arms, gear and what not. Plus all the game, native and exotic means we can hunt 365.

It's gotten to the point with me that the only way I hunt now is with traditional (18th c.) gear and clothing. Whether it's for pheasant, dove, groundhog, turkey, deer... I just enjoy it more.

As far as blaze orange goes, I use an orange bandanna for warm weather (like this time of year for groundhogs). For cold weather I use the same waistcoat as NWTF Longhunter, with either a blaze hatband on my round hat or an orange wool Monmouth cap.

just need the orange for big game

DSC03399.jpg

...going out the back 40

i like the waistcoat looks good Ron

Mr. Custom Smokepole,
I dress in garb suitable for my early 1830s persona. Lot of fun.
However, transportation to the hunt site is via Alaskan Mule. Then parked for the duration of the hunt. As a matter of fact, am going out to look for Griz in another hour or so.
Best Wishes

Nothing wrong with that, I was just wondering. the hunters I meet up with sometime are wearing the camo, and all the other Wallmart stuff....

That what I am talking about. I love the 1800 fur tradeer/mountainman thing, just me and I am sure othrs also. I was born 150 years to late, but not complaining

Great look, just rubbing it in. Canada is great, I use to guid Caribou hunts up there out of Schefferville. Some of my best hunts were up there just below Ungava Bay.

Thats fantastic, I wish I was with you. Never been to Alaska, but I hear its beautiful, and much game to hunt.
Aim small, miss small

Alaska is a beautiful state no doubt about that. With regards to plentiful game, sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not.

I hunt like this from time to time, on private land during our squirrel season...I'm suppose to have on blaze orange, but everyone needs to do something wild and crazy from time to time... :grin:

DeerCam002.jpg

Deer camp, late Oct/early Nov.2001 in an Alder thicket above a small stream near some 8-10 year old clear cuts butted against older timber, could have been Elk but I did not hunt Elk that year, my "horse" Toyota SR5 is tethered/parked out of frame, I took a medium doe on the third day before noon (.50 Early Lancaster from TOW parts) and packed up and went home (20 miles)I could have set up 8-10 miles from home as well or 1 mile away on a woodlot on a farm but the Coastal Mts are a better "getaway" this was a typical deer hunt for many years, I usually had a NW gun or Fowler along for Grouse as well. I do not get out and hunt/camp as much as I used to, usually just day hunting.The outfit in my avatar is one of a few secondary sets of clothes I take when hunting/camping, my knee length wrap around caped outer wrap hunting shirt/smock/frock scmuck/schmock is rolled up and tied on the strap of my shoulder bag when not being worn.

Deercamp.jpg

Thats great guys, I am glad others seem to like it the old way. It brings me back to a time I can only imagine how it was back in the 1800's, but being a fur trader/mountainman. I get carried away, but I love it.

Aim small, miss small

Ron, your blaze orange waistcoat is just what I've been looking for (and need). Living here in Pa. it's required during the regular deer season. If you don't mind, may I inquire as to where you found it and an approximate ball park price. I have been looking for something like that for quite some time. I thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.
Vern

Vern... I'll answer for Ron... I believe he got the same one I had... it's from Michael Pullins at Ohio Valley Peddler and in 2005 it was $125. Last I knew, he had no web site but you can email him at ovpmp(at)bright.net or call (419)946-6174.

Since it's reversible (the other side can be either navy blue or green) it's double thick wool and really warm.

Back