• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Long Rifle 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbach

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Traditions 50 Cal Kentucky Long Rifle I bough a couple years back. I really like the rifle and shoot it a few times each year. Its very accurate and I like shooting it. It was not a kit, I bought it assembled.

What I don't like is getting the manure kicked out of me every time I shoot it. I'm not completely sold on keeping it "Period". I's not a show piece I just want to enjoy shooting it.

Where can I get a recoil pad to fit it? The brass shoulder piece is nice looking but not much on comfort.

FYI
I shoot Hornady (185 grain +/-) lead balls, patched, with 60 grains of 2F black powder.

Any suggestions?

Check the fit of the "spacer" between the two stock sections, it needs to be really tight there.
If you have to,, add something to snug it up.
The rear/butt section of the stock is very light compared to the rest of the rifle,, the balance point is way too far forward.
Adding weight in the rear helps a lot. I have drilled 3/8" holes 3" deep in the butt of those guns and filled them with molten lead and it's almost enough to get a proper balance.
A pound of more weight added in the butt will change that "kick" into a push.

60 grains and a round ball shouldn't kick much at all.....I could shoot that until the cows came home.....
Just how is it kicking you?
I'm betting that you are holding it like a modern gun, with the butt tight in on your shoulder and close to your chest.....
The butt plate should be on your arm where it meets the shoulder and not on the shoulder it's self..
There's a sweet spot at the end of the bicep where it will nestle nicely and comfortably making recoil virtually un-noticeable.......

It's a common rookie mistake....

colorado clyde said:
Just how is it kicking you?
I'm betting that you are holding it like a modern gun, with the butt tight in on your shoulder and close to your chest.....
The butt plate should be on your arm where it meets the shoulder and not on the shoulder it's self..

It's a common rookie mistake....
Agree 100%

I had the same problem with the kick when using these type's of buttplate's. My GPR used to kick the snot out of me until I learned how to shoulder these type's of muzzleloader's. They are not designed to shoulder like a modern type of firearm.

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

FML said:
if all else fails, you can buy a slip on recoil pad.
It will fit like trying to wear 5 gallon buckets for boots on a Kentucky rifle.....Plus it will significantly change the length of pull affecting accuracy and will probably turn it into a cheek smacker....
Slip over recoil pad = :td:

I have the same problem as you. I inherrited a thompson 50 caliber percusion that was already built and I was going to use it in a shoot this fall but the 75 grains powder I was using made it kick like a 10 guage. It's not a bad gun and I'd use it mpre often if it wasn't fore the kick. I have a similar CVA 50 caliber percusion hawkens riffle with a better butt plate that I shoot 70 grains out of and I don't notice the kick at all.

I have three 50's that I use 45 grains of FFF in with denim for a patch. They all shoot well and it's more of a push than a kick. Try working your way down in charge, it may surprise you.

I shoot 80 grains out of my 50 cal...it is a light gun too and kicks nowhere near a 10 gauge....or a 12 gauge...maybe a 20 gauge....but more like a .410

Black powder is very gentle and forgiving....even if you load black powder to dram equivalent in a shotgun the recoil is no where near that of modern powders....

If the gun is belting you then it probably doesn't fit you properly....Don't blame the gun....

Back