• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you think of Traditions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soinkuhndog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
At an antique market: I found a Traditions 50 Cal. flint with double set trigger, 1:66 twist, lots of brass ornamentation, walnut stock. A little rough here and there on the outside, but appears okay. The shop owner said that he's never fired it. I talked him down to $150, but still wanted to think it over. He said he would hold that price for a few days.

It would be my first flintlock and I have to say that the price is just about right (since I wasn't looking to buy one at this time anyway).

Anyone have any opinions?

You can reply here or email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Traditions may not be THE best rifle out there, but $150 doesn't sound too bad. You may need to work on the frizzen to make to harder. Does the face of the frizzen have big wash board ripples on it?

I would think it a fair deal at worst you could drop a replacemnet lock in it, the 1/66 barrel is a plus.

I have a Traditions 50 caliber flintlock, 1 in 66 twist, double triggers, etc., from the first year of manufacture. I bought it new. It has been reliable and nicely accurate. It might be a tack driver but can't be sure since I'm shooting it. :wink:

$150 seems a fair price if the lock functions and the barrel is OK. At worst, you might have to order a new frizzen.

Jeff

Asked: Does the face of the frizzen have big wash board ripples on it?

Answer: No, it seemed okay and lock seemed to work.

I know that you get what you pay for, and I'd be better served waiting; however, if it's a decent gun and a fair price I might go for it.

I know opinions will vary, but I appreciate any and all input.

David

If you want a wall hanger for people who don't know grapes from bowling balls, they're ok.
But why not save up for a used Lyman GPR flint that really works, and looks half way decent.
Traditions are garbage, were garbage, and always will be garbage.The wood is wrong, the lock is wrong.What else encouraging can I say?
I guess you can tell, I don't like them.
I had one!Handled several!
Old Ford

Although cheap in the beginning, you will throw money at it constantly until you get it right, then have more in it than a quality gun costs. For $100 more you can buy a quality used flinter
this time of year. Just today a TC Renegade went for $185 in my area, but I missed it. I would steer clear of Traditions.

Kuhndog said:
At an antique market: I found a Traditions 50 Cal. flint with double set trigger, 1:66 twist, lots of brass ornamentation, walnut stock. A little rough here and there on the outside, but appears okay. The shop owner said that he's never fired it. I talked him down to $150, but still wanted to think it over. He said he would hold that price for a few days.

It would be my first flintlock and I have to say that the price is just about right (since I wasn't looking to buy one at this time anyway).

Anyone have any opinions?

You can reply here or email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

It having lots of brass there is a real good chance that it is a Shenandoah. I have had two, one percussion and one flintlock.
The percussion was a fine rifle right out of the box. Nice triggers. Nice barrel. The sights...eh.
The flintlock had a hick-up in the triggers because of loose screws. And the lock had to be adjusted. The same sights...eh.
Both shot fine. I don't want to lose the flintlock even if it is a bit flashy for my taste. One of these days I will have to remove the finish from the brass work and get it smudgy.

I also have a Traditions el cheapo Deer Hunter. It shoots great. It's almost embarrassingly reliable for a $100 flinter. Always goes bang. If the barrel was half again longer, octagonal to round and didn't have rifling then it would be the perfect backyard, pond and house banger. As is it still serves the purpose even if it won't pattern No.6's.

If the $150 Traditions is fully and correctly functional, lock and triggers ok, and the barrel isn't rough when you run a patch down it, I say grab it up. If everything works fine and the barrel is rough I'd say grab it and let Bobby Hoyt fix the barrel.

I agree with the others that have said, if you have to spend a lot of money on it just to get it reliable, pass it by. I don't have one but I have looked at and held them in gun stores. They are pretty crude. I wouldn't care about the HC/PC thing, if that isn't important to you.

Mike Brooks said:
Waste of $150 IMHO.
I'm appalled at YOU! What a disgusting comment! YOU should be ashamed! You know, I'm a friend of Mario (who introduced me to flintlock shooting) and I was strongly considering having you build me a custom arm some day ... but not now, you conceited a$$!

Capt. Jas. said:
I would save the 150 and keep adding to it to get something better.

C'mon guys ... are you all for real? What do all you do ... make millions a year? $150 for someone who admitted they DO NOT have a flintlock and this could get them into flint shooting NOW ... ??? And perhaps eventually they'll love it sooooooooooooooo much they'll buy a custom flintlock by a noted and honorable custom builder some day ... ??????

No brainer ... BUY it! And if you're short on ca$h, I'll even send you $10 myself to help pay for it.

So I welcome you to the world of flintlock shooting!

Now, admittedly, Traditions can be rough! PM and I can help you through it, as I had bought one identical for my 11 year old nephew to get him into flintlock shooting ... since his Father couldn't afford one (they're on tough times) and I couldn't afford a $2,000 Mike Brooks longrifle to introduce him to the wonderful experience of flintlocks. For the record, that PA flintlock now shoots reliably and the darn kid LOVES it!

Some people here ... just don't quite "get it" :shake: ... not everyone has had the experiences and/or privileges they have had ... :idunno:

You will, however, find others quite helpful here!

Nope, I'll never advise anyone to buy a cheap gun that does not have a very good reputation to start off with shooting flintlocks. Only to become frustrated with it and give up all together. Not when for a little more they can get into a Lyman or a used T/C and be a world better off.

flint62smooth whatever, your comments were absolutely uncalled for and disgusting, some of the worst I have seen on the forum for a long time, and you are right ..some people don't get it, you prooved that very well, very sad.

Friends don't let friends buy junk ! If you have to fiddle with it out of the box it is a sub-standard product. Many shops that sell Traditions INCLUDE a free "tune up" because they know if they don't the customer is going to come back unhappy. Leave it at the flea market, maybe someonre will make a lamp out of it ! :blah:

The balance of a good flintlock, can be difficult at the best of times.
I mean, a good gun, and a good flit lock can present difficulties.
That is to set up the flint, that it sparkes just right, the correct flint (bevel up or down), the touch hole in the right place.The geometry of the innards of the lock.
All of the issues, can bring you closer, or if nothing works well, drive you away.
So why buy a problem, that so many advise not to.
All the best!
Old Ford

Back