• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a gun for a walk today. No birds but a nice day for some exercise.

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_190411618.jpg
    PXL_20231112_190411618.jpg
    5.4 MB
It was a beautiful Fall day today. Weather was clear, & sunny. The temperature hovered between 60° F. and 65° F., wind was 9 mph from the SSW, humidity 54%. You couldn't ask for better on a November day in Kansas. I shot my Track of the Wolf fusil de chasse. I'd post pictures, but I'm a little embarrassed about the quality of my shooting. Suffice it to say that naked ball, .600" dia., & wads over a 2¼ dr. charge of 2fg Schuetzen powder was the best of the three targets I shot at 50 yards, off-hand.

spent the morning scraping a Ram rod for the last build, Darwin. i got a bottle of tannic acid in the mail the other day so i soaked the hickory with it as an experiment. should have guessed how it would turn out by the black fingers.
after the TA was dry i coated it with Aqua Fortis. blushed it when dry and it was almost black. knocked it back with 320 grit and it turned out great.
next up was draw filing the Colerain barrel that is going into a cherry half stock. took right at one hour to file.
this build kinda has me excited. getting a NOS Haddaway lock for it. should be nice. probably keep this one.

Attachments

• 20231112_171609.jpg
    20231112_171609.jpg
    667.1 KB
Finished varnishing the long Fowler yesterday and pinned the barrel back on. Next comes a few applications of rubbed and buffed paste wax and she’s done 😃
What a nice challenge and thoroughly enjoyable time it has been to finish Mr. Gallaghan’s lovely long gun. I somehow wish he could see how it came out, but I suspect a bit of his spirit will always remain within this Fowler which he started and never got to finish.

Last edited:
My wife and I met a new forum member from our area @northernThaiguy out at our club and shot with him for a few hours. He's brand new to BP but shot an impressive first group with his Colt Navy and did well with his rifle too. We had a good time, I think he's hooked!

Thanks so much, Justin, for patiently shepherding me!! It was great meeting you two, and a lot of fun shooting the guns!

You sound like me. Ha ha. I did a bit more work on the 8 g stock , from an odd bit of walnut, a £120 auction win, un repairable smashed up stock 1830. Bore not bad and lock worth £200 I just did a bit of titivation and had to add a bit of epoxy to the barrel slid pin , got that bit wrong. Yes I make tools and jigs for everything , Yes what else to do in this cold wet green and pleasant land , take care , wonderful forum,
But PLEASE : NO Allen screws !!!

Working on making a barrel flushing fitting for the cva Kentucky.

First I shortened the Allan headed screw for length. Then drilled it with a 5/64 bit. Easy to center going in although it popped out a little off. Not a fail, just an imperfection. 😀

20231112_150238_copy_600x800_copy_247x333.jpg
20231112_150230_copy_600x800_copy_230x254.jpg

After a little thread cleanup it seems to have an ok length with the 0 ring in place.

20231112_151410_copy_600x800_copy_296x310.jpg

I had hoped that the clamp I'd purchased for the project would work but it was immediately apparent that the clearance would not be adequate. Hmmm why didn't I see that coming!

If the tubing were tight enough to remain in place this would have been a done deal but it would not. Solution: some thin wire twisted into a clamp.

20231112_153659_copy_600x800.jpg

That oughta work, eh? NOT! Even this clamp solution wouldn't work. This tiny protruding piece of twisted wire came into interference with the stock before the 0 ring snugged up. I'm forgiving myself for not seeing this coming 😪

20231112_154055_copy_600x800.jpg

Here's how a Commercially made fitting looks. This one 1/4 × 28 so it's a no go on the CVA.

20231112_151620_copy_600x800_copy_317x341.jpg

So, I think it can be done right with a headless Allan screw and smaller tube that will attach better to the protruding threads.

I'll be baaaaack!

Back