• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It rained so I spent a little time at the lathe. Made a cleaning jag and fouling scraper out of brass for the .54 Kebler.
I envy you guys who have fancy shmancy tools AND know how to use them. If I were to change my screen name it would be "Mikeofnotools"

Had plans but a refrigerator that defied repair took control of the day.

I envy you guys who have fancy shmancy tools AND know how to use them. If I were to change my screen name it would be "Mikeofnotools"

It's not fancy. A flat belt driven Logan lathe my Grandfather gave to me on my 16th birthday 54 years ago. Learned the blacksmithing/metal working trade from him. Don't have a high tech shop just well cared for vintage tools.

I got this really old wooden box, ideal for legally containing my BP as the lock is functional. The two side handles, made of Iron, are original - not so sure about the front handle though! The picture behind is a print of the painting 'Le retour de l'Isle d'Elbe' depicting Napoleon's return to France after exile in Elba. Both of the from my local junk shop for a pittance. Worthy additions to my Gun - Room!
IMG_20240703_124939[1].jpg

I know what you mean "Mikeofnotools", my workshop. LOL I think appliances have a mind of their own. They seem to always quit working when the money you have saved up could be put to better use, like buying a gun or maybe going on a hunting trip, important things!😁

Attachments

• DSC00308.JPG
    DSC00308.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 331418
Before the new rear sight.
You built like the way I thought , mine 1885 Swiss 10,4mm martini action , others replacement stock , note set triggers, barrel rifled .5 bore, ignition 209 primer or percussion cap muzzle loading big bullet or patched ball 1/37” twist heavy 14 lbs 39” barrel I think Hankin started me off on it Great fun love it

Love from London

Attachments

• 2C633227-2AC3-4953-9DED-D436E0AB3579.jpeg
    2C633227-2AC3-4953-9DED-D436E0AB3579.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0DC75A5A-07C1-495B-8694-D0147A606FED.jpeg
    0DC75A5A-07C1-495B-8694-D0147A606FED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B08B47B1-FFFF-4311-949E-92CB190E27DA.jpeg
    B08B47B1-FFFF-4311-949E-92CB190E27DA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • EED5674B-D991-416D-AC30-5B7A8126D485.jpeg
    EED5674B-D991-416D-AC30-5B7A8126D485.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • EED65A37-4021-4260-9A4E-F7891593E752.jpeg
    EED65A37-4021-4260-9A4E-F7891593E752.jpeg
    960.1 KB · Views: 0
Got the top tang attached to the mounting plate that holds the stock to the barrel, which I silver soldered in with 45% silver solder. That way it is not going to move.

Attachments

• 20240703_091606.jpg
    20240703_091606.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240703_092517.jpg
    20240703_092517.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I know what you mean "Mikeofnotools", my workshop. LOL I think appliances have a mind of their own. They seem to always quit working when the money you have saved up could be put to better use, like buying a gun or maybe going on a hunting trip, important things!😁
At least you both have a bit of dedicated space! For most of what I've done on my Colonial, I've gone down to the spare bedroom / craft room / food storage room / furnace room / miscellaneous "dump it here" room, thrown a blanket over the bed and hoped to heck that I could get away with things without a proper vise set-up! (Other than the masking for the sideplate etching that required the iron, so I did that on the stove...and the stock oiling, which I did in the basement shower stall in case I dripped Tung oil.) :D

Still, between the great product Jim puts out, my educational background and everything I've had to do to make things work with my job over the years, I think I've had a pretty good collection of skills to bring to bear...so hopefully that means I'll be able to have this beast ready for the range shortly (depending on the "honey-do" list ;) ). I might not be a professional gunsmith, but I'm thinking it's turning out reasonably well for a first attempt :D

Today I shot the rifle I been working on and shooting for the last 5 months and today I'm going to have to call her a shooter. I shot 10 shot at the target 4 with Swiss 2f all I had
20240703_121829.jpg
and 6 with Goex 2f. As you can see the 4 swiss shot higher ( the lower swiss hung a bit and I pulled it). The Goex shot about 2-3 inches lower but both shot well, if you bring the one goex I shot in the right target (I wanted 5 shots in each target) that's a 6 shot group all in the red. The patches did well the lighter ones were the swiss and the darker the goex. Very tight load with a thick patch which is needed to fill the grove on the round bottom rice barrel. I'm sure some can shoot much better, but for me that's about as good as I ever shot and I'm very happy with it.:)
20240703_122432.jpg

Last edited:
At least you both have a bit of dedicated space! For most of what I've done on my Colonial, I've gone down to the spare bedroom / craft room / food storage room / furnace room / miscellaneous "dump it here" room, thrown a blanket over the bed and hoped to heck that I could get away with things without a proper vise set-up! (Other than the masking for the sideplate etching that required the iron, so I did that on the stove...and the stock oiling, which I did in the basement shower stall in case I dripped Tung oil.) :D

Still, between the great product Jim puts out, my educational background and everything I've had to do to make things work with my job over the years, I think I've had a pretty good collection of skills to bring to bear...so hopefully that means I'll be able to have this beast ready for the range shortly (depending on the "honey-do" list ;) ). I might not be a professional gunsmith, but I'm thinking it's turning out reasonably well for a first attempt :D
That's called dedication Mike! I'd like to try making a rifle, but I don't have the skill it takes. Keeping with the thread.

I went to the local sport shop to renew my Pa. senior lifetime hunting license and get a doe tag. I ask about #11 caps and the owner said he's having trouble getting them. He can get 209 primers and has powder, I got another can of Goex while I was there, but no caps. On the upside, he sells mainly flintlocks so not too many guys ask for percussion caps.

Latest posts

Back