• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper patch and grease groove bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought that perhaps it would be appropriate for a discussion on these, other than round ball projectiles.

I am going to post some different picture of what I use and some of what others use.

I am hoping that the boys from Idaho, UT, England, TN and others will feel free to post what they use and share their experience.

Fleener

This first picture is of a .50 cal GG bullet that I use for hunting. The mold is customized by a buddy.

GG hollow point 50 cal.jpg

Here is a GG in .45 cal. I mostly use these for hunting. I do not get much expansion on a whitetail deer, and I use pure lead.
  1. GG hollow point.jpg

I size the bullets in a lyman lubersizer. My lube is homemade, equal parts crisco, bees wax and a little olive oil.

These bullets are a traditional style that the French International team uses.
French.jpg

These bullets are from the Spanish International team. I think the marking and different colored paper is cool. Does not help them shoot any better but they are neat. The Spanish team are the "Bull Fighters" if I remember right. I think that the logo is a bull in front of a target with rifles crossed.

Notice the flat nose.

I think the French and the Spanish team all use the same bullets.

Fleener
spanish .jpg

Here is my PP bullet. This bullet was designed by a buddy of mine. He had used it for a few years in the BPCR world and is one of the best shooter in that field. So, I stole the design from him and had a mold made for me to his drawings and specs to use in the ML.

You will notice that that the nose is very tapered compared to the other bullets I posted. I dont now know of anyone shooting at long range in competition that is using a bullet with a nose that is more tapered then this bullet. Others have been recently shooting this bullet or one close to it.

My buddy has been shooting more LRML now and has also had great success with his bullet out of his LRML.

Fleener

arts pp.jpg

Here they are side by side.

Big difference in bullet shape and paper length.

Fleener

PP side by side.jpg

As you can see the bases for the French and Spanish are cupped, mine is flat.

Fleener

PP bases.jpg

I tried various papers until I settled on this one. I will post a picture latter of the brand of paper. I found an old box of paper on ebay and bought it. Paper for me made a big difference for accuracy. I use a brass guide that I use to cut out my paper with. I wrap my bullets dry, never use any lube or water on them.

For BPCR I do not size the bullets. For the ML I run them through a sizing die. I do not have any issues with keep in the paper on the bullets.

This picture is of a bullet that I took the paper off of to show for the picture. The paper is wrinkled due to wrapping and sizing and being unwrapped. On the right side it looks like a jog in the paper, it is just how the picture turned out. The paper does 2 complete wraps on the bullet, but not over lapping more than two.

Fleener

unwrapped.jpg

My buddy Brent has a video that he made, it used to be on the net, but I think it is now gone. Perhaps he might post something.

Fleener

AWESOME stuff Fleener!! I have read a LOT of Brent D’s stuff, Very knowledgeable man!

Here is my PP bullet. This bullet was designed by a buddy of mine. He had used it for a few years in the BPCR world and is one of the best shooter in that field. So, I stole the design from him and had a mold made for me to his drawings and specs to use in the ML.

You will notice that that the nose is very tapered compared to the other bullets I posted. I dont now know of anyone shooting at long range in competition that is using a bullet with a nose that is more tapered then this bullet. Others have been recently shooting this bullet or one close to it.

My buddy has been shooting more LRML now and has also had great success with his bullet out of his LRML.

Fleener

View attachment 5445

I have a Bullet that looks a LOT like this, i had Buffalo Arms make it for me, it was not a Catalog item, i came up with it, and had to get permission from Gullo to let Jim Cut it for me. Buffalo Arms is like a Second home to me :)

This is the Mold, Bullet, Cupped base, Nose pour. It shoots really good in my 1:20, and 1:30 Twist, I haven’t had a chance to test it long yet, this Spring/Summer
qZPzfSUl.jpg

ZgajzAZm.jpg

I have shot a Lot of BACO’s Cupped Base PP bullets, They are Swaged of Pure Lead Wire, I wish they were offered in an Alloy, like 1-20 or 1-30

I do have a few videos. Website is gone but here is a video of how I cut patches for paper patching.

And this is how I wrap them. It does not matter which direction you wrap the paper around the bullet. It will be sliced into strips. This is for a bullet that is seated in a cartridge but this very same bullet, with one additional step, can just as easily be seated in a muzzleloader and shot to 1000 yds with very high precision.

That additional step it to run the bullet through a sizing die AFTER patching it. The sizing die is a push-through affair made by Lee Precision. This is because they are just slightly too large in diameter to slide down the bore of a muzzleloader under match conditions. This is convenient since now the same mould can be used for both muzzleloaders and cartridge rifles.

I like the colored logo paper used on the French and Spanish bullets. You could market those.

I also noticed their paper has a glossy waxed appearance, is their paper lubed/waxed?

I think that the Spanish bullet has a bit of oil or lube on them. The French bullet I think was wrapped wet and allowed to dry.

When you run the bullets through a sizing die, it will make them shiny.

Fleener

Buffalo Arms cut my PP mold for me.

Gullo called me one day and next thing I know I had ordered a bullet mold.

I had another mold maker make me one prior, but he did not follow the design very well.

Buffalo Arms did a good job and I would not hesitate to buy another mold from them.

Fleener

AWESOME stuff Fleener!! I have read a LOT of Brent D’s stuff, Very knowledgeable man!

Brent is a very knowledgeable man in this and other areas. BUT please dont say nice things about him. I have to be around him in person.

Fleener

Just some random PP Pics of mine, Some are of molds i had Made, and others are BACO Swaged Cupped Base.

1 of my Many Hunting PP Bullets, I really don’t like PP Bullets for my Style of Hunting Though, I don’t trust a “Slip Fit” Bullet when i am Ground and Pound Elk Hunting, i want a Tight fitting Grease Groove On an 1/8” Oversize Wool wad, The only way it can it budge is if i pull the Trigger.
VNoCBhzm.jpg

3 PP Bullets i had made from a Bullet I really liked, I had them made to Drop at .443, .493, and .533, These Would be Game “Hammers”
R87rBIwm.jpg

KMwdHLtm.jpg

My BACO Slick, 530 Grain, .443
HcPmsIMl.jpg

.54 Cal
I1G2XUHm.jpg

11XMzu1m.jpg

G06wboim.jpg

BDqvsCbm.jpg

EiDTK6Ym.jpg

9M2TGpdm.jpg

MLxpcprm.jpg