• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my Remington revolver, a Jukar and a CVA pistol, both .45 to the range. I have CCI #11 caps and nothing else....

First shot with the revolver and I lost 5 caps. After that I loaded and fired one chamber at a time and it went OK. I bought Slixspring nipples for it but it turned out my wrench was too large and I could not change them. The #11's worked ok if I stuck to one at a time. Oddly they work fine on my 1851 Navy but I am presently out of .375 balls.

Jukar fired flawlessly. Who would have guessed it would be that one. My period correct stainless steel pistol - with no sights on it.

CVA failed to ignite the powder, a lot. I had to take the nipple off and prime it like a flintlock to get it to work. Does not seem to be an obstuction though.

Took my Remington revolver, a Jukar and a CVA pistol, both .45 to the range. I have CCI #11 caps and nothing else....

First shot with the revolver and I lost 5 caps. After that I loaded and fired one chamber at a time and it went OK. I bought Slixspring nipples for it but it turned out my wrench was too large and I could not change them. The #11's worked ok if I stuck to one at a time. Oddly they work fine on my 1851 Navy but I am presently out of .375 balls.

Jukar fired flawlessly. Who would have guessed it would be that one. My period correct stainless steel pistol - with no sights on it.

CVA failed to ignite the powder, a lot. I had to take the nipple off and prime it like a flintlock to get it to work. Does not seem to be an obstuction though.
I've had that failure to ignite problem on several CVA and Traditions rifles so, when this happens, I take the nipple over to the drill press and find a bit that is just larger than the hole in the fire channel and punch it out just a wee bit. So far that has corrected this issue every time. I've never had a problem with the Jukar rifles and pistols though. Funny, same nipples...

i recently purchased my first black powder cva mountain gun,i shot it today for first time..What a blast goin thru the process of muzzleloading and then the recoil from the 50 cal..loved it..picked it up n preston’s condition with all needed to fire it…FOR 50$

Preparing for next Saturdays shoot heres the details
CANNON VALLEY MUZZLE LOADERS
Monthly Shoot Next Saturday July 8th 9am
Everybody is welcome at AHLMAN'S GUNS in MORRISTOWN MN
$10 adult registration, kids under 16 are free. Lunch is included.
50 cent relays winner gets half the pot
COME OUT AND PLAY ALL ARE WELCOME WE DON'T DISCRIMANATE FLINT, PERCUSSION, INLINE IT DOESN'T MATTER
WE HAD 22 SHOOTERS LAST MONTH INCLUDING 4 UNDER 12
A REALLY GREAT TIME WAS HAD BY ALL !!!!
COME AND HAVE FUN

these are some of the pictures from June's shoot

hope to see ya'll next saturday

We've been active at Camps Raven Knob and Bud Schiele. My normal photographer (my 89yo dad) has been unable to come so far this summer so here's the only 2 pix I have.

Working with "Zouave" muskets. Ord Sgt Boolba is on the left in period USMC attire. I'm on the right wearing a balmoral.
355854912_666165805540736_3789539485153048982_n.jpg

At Camp Raven Knob, those of us of Scottish lineage. Scout on the left is one of the camp staff working with us. I'm in the center in somewhat period attire. Gentleman on the right is one of the Scoutmasters who dropped in on the fun. We're at the Friday evening campfire where we give awards to the kids and make shameless plugs for muzzleloading.
IMG_20230701_154831 (2).jpg

i recently purchased my first black powder cva mountain gun,i shot it today for first time..What a blast goin thru the process of muzzleloading and then the recoil from the 50 cal..loved it..picked it up n preston’s condition with all needed to fire it…FOR 50$
a cva mountain rifle for 50$ ??????? watch for the cops! that was a steal!

Took my Lyman GPR and new Woodsrunner to the monthly muzzleloading shoot today. As I hadn't shoot the Woodsrunner I shot the competition round with the GPR. Then switched to the Woodsrunner.
What a great gun. I just loaded it as I do my GPR 50 grains of FF, .012 patch, and a .495 ball. The first 3 shots touching just to the right of the bull at 25 yards. Decided to shoot as t the 50 yard gong aimed just to the left of the gong and a near miss to the left of the gong. Next shot and remaining shots I aimed at the center of the gong and all were solid hits.
My thanks to Jim Kibler and the people at Kibler Longrifles for making such a great rifle. I love my Kibler SMR but the Woodsrunner is going to be my new to go to rifle.

Mowed the grass at the range this morning and then broke out the .62 smoothbore. Shot great with 80 grains of 2f Swiss or 60 grains of 3f Swiss. Had a few mysterious pan flashes, not sure why. I am shooting it very well for elevation but need to work on windage, I’m hitting right consistently.

Rainy Sunday. Went to the rifle range at our club meeting a friend there at 12:30 when we can be safe from the skeet clays. Debated on an easy unmentionables shoot or a more complicated Black powder foray. Decided on the more difficult, never shot, antique Jeager percussion rifle I got a while back. It fired just fine, but I had no clue how it was sighted. Finally got shots on target at 25 yards with the adjustable back sights lying dead flat. At 50 yards with the sights elevated there were no hits at all on paper. Was throwing over the target for sure. This rifled percussion is heavy and the double set triggers as I got them are very light - just a touch on the front trigger sets it off. I enjoyed shooting - firing the 6 mystery shots and the 4 on target with flat sights. I shot 60 grains of Goex 2 f and a 495 ball in a deeply rifled bore that is closest to 50. I couldn’t patch the ball without having to hammer it down which I didn’t. The ball just slid down with a lubed patch on top. Not the best, I know. I look forward to taking this beautiful gun back out and trying it out again at 50 and 100 yards. I designed and made the shooting bag and leather sling for this rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8145.jpeg
    IMG_8145.jpeg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
figured i would exercise the .50 flint pistol i built last year. figured i would shoot this month's postal target. got 3 shots off and the management found something that needed to be done first. while i was touching my forelock and scurrying about like a good little serf, i received a visit by a very critical pooch.
Now my pistol shooting is bad but not as bad as my brother in law's hound thinks it is!
20230702_155528.jpg

figured i would exercise the .50 flint pistol i built last year. figured i would shoot this month's postal target. got 3 shots off and the management found something that needed to be done first. while i was touching my forelock and scurrying about like a good little serf, i received a visit by a very critical pooch.
Now my pistol shooting is bad but not as bad as my brother in law's hound thinks it is!
View attachment 232991

That is quite the pile.

I cleaned up an old plate shooting box that I found at an estate sale for 2 bucks. No one knew what it was. My plate shooting box is black so this red one will be for muzzle loading. Must be close to 50 years old but the plastic is fine. This one was sold at Sears.

Attachments

• 20230702_204504.jpg
    20230702_204504.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230702_204414.jpg
    20230702_204414.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Not today but yesterday, Betty and I divided some new loot. We ordered and received a nicely done shooting bag, a very nice powder horn, a ball bag and a antler handled short starter. She gets the pretty horn, I get the shooting bag, she gets the ball bag and I get the starter. Sounds OK to me and she's a happy wife. Need I say more? Dale

That is quite the pile.
Walker hound. this old dog likes to back up to anything new and hang his shingle on it. can't leave a 5 gallon bucket sitting about.
1688352384108.png

decided to do some experimenting with alloy round ball this afternoon. cast some .54's and some .50's. wheelweight lead. BHN 15
50's cast at .490. .54's cast at .531
to tired to haul myself up to the scales so will weigh them tomorrow if there is one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back