• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 24 hrs have been busy. Did a little muzzle decorating and then I found my old powder flask. Hadn't seen the light of day in over 20 years...but it's amazing what some Brasso, Ren wax and elbow grease can do... yes, it is polished enough as to get the reflection of the phone in the picture.

1000003513.jpg

Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
Today started out with a nosebleed. Then my buddy showed up with a Japanese smoothbore. I'm supposed to fix it...but HE took it apart. I have no idea where the broken stuff goes.

Well. I snagged a little pedersoli 50 pistol that is ugly, but it was cheap cheap and I'm gonna purdy it up until I can build one to suit me.. So I'll see what I can steam out of this stock after I strip it..
And I got some new to me buckskin pant I thought would fit fine. But my wife's wonderful sourdough creations and creeping back in on me.. so I threw a gusset into the rear of em where they looked a little weak in the seams. I went too big on my gusset too haha..
Gotta get some color worn into them so it doesn't look like an orange thong now though!
Ive always worn breeches and leggings with my Impression , but I couldn't pass on these for something "extra" to wear at rendezvous.

Attachments

• 20240602_083858.jpg
    20240602_083858.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240602_083837.jpg
    20240602_083837.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240602_083725.jpg
    20240602_083725.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Did something stupid, tried my 50cal St Louis Hawken at 640 yards. Thought what the heck the opportunity presented itself so I gave it a try. Target was in a green grass area so could not see the misses, but it is only powder and ball.
not stupid at all! you tried something that you hadn't before! besides, Idaholewis has proven the hawken capable 1000 yard shots. accurately.

not stupid at all! you tried something that you hadn't before! besides, Idaholewis has proven the hawken capable 1000 yard shots. accurately.
Went to our club shoot yesterday. While shooting my 45 rifle I forgot to put a patch under the ball. Rather than trying to pull it out I just rammed it down and shot it at the target. It turned out to be the best shot I had on the target. I used to shoot my hunting rifle with a bare ball just to see what it would do for a quick follow up shot if needed. Any body else do this?

Went to our club shoot yesterday. While shooting my 45 rifle I forgot to put a patch under the ball. Rather than trying to pull it out I just rammed it down and shot it at the target. It turned out to be the best shot I had on the target. I used to shoot my hunting rifle with a bare ball just to see what it would do for a quick follow up shot if needed. Any body else do this?
Yes. I’ve used a bare .495 ball in a .50 caliber rifle just for fun and surprisingly it worked. I like trying different loads and I’m not convinced that a super tight patched round ball is best for close range. I usually use a .490 ball and a thin, spit lubed patch which is very easy to load. No short starter needed.

I've never tried a bare ball in my rifles. Now with this post I certainly will. But I've always wondered what a R.E.A.L round ball would be like. Like cast a soft .505 round ball and seat it down on top of a lubed felt wad. I never wanted to order a custom mold to try it though.

even with pilot holes drilled, putting the rear screw in the toe plate puckers me up water tight!
and you even indexed the slots. wish i was further with my build.
nice job Thad. gonna fire blue it?
Thanks Tom! I keep an assortment of old wood screws on hand, not as many as I’d like to have, but I was able to find a pair of short ones that just stopped short of the butt plate screw. I change my mind about metal finish every day. I haven’t browned anything in a while, so I was leaning towards that. Now I’m leaning towards a dark Jax Black blue. But I’m going to consider a fire blue also. And I lost my nice screw indexing. The front screw was sitting slightly proud, after I hit it with the countersink again it’s nice and flush, but it took another 1/4 turn! Oh well. And I use beeswax on the threads.

Last edited:
Had time for one more shop project this afternoon before I ran out of steam, but I didn’t want to do anything highly technical. I was given a French Opinel folding knife 5-6 years ago as a gift and I’ve never used it because I thought it was too shiny. I sanded off the old finish and scuffed up the blade. Applied some blueing to tone down the metal shine and put some antique stain on the wood and my oil & turpentine finish. Didn’t really change it much, but I think it looks better. Now it has a new home in my range box.

Attachments

• IMG_3917.jpeg
    IMG_3917.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back