• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first muzzloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelockhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Didn't see this anywhere else so I thought I would ask.

Mine was a T/C pennslyvania match. Good percussion gun fun to shoot.

Only other one I own is a cabela's not sure what it is and can't hit the broadside of the barn from the inside percussion gun that my dad gave me. He need to give it to me so he had an excuse to buy another one.

Wheellockhunter:

My Dad bought me a Percussion CVA .45 Kentucky Rifle kit for Christmas (almost 24 years ago) when I was a teenager. He then built the kit for me. Old Kentucky was my very first firearm and was how my Dad got me into shooting muzzleloaders. :D

As such that old gun always has a special place for me.

Didn't see this anywhere else so I thought I would ask.

Knight MK85 inline, then backwards in technology to TC Hawken percussions, then further back in technology to Flintlocks (TC Hawkens) which I've found to be the most enjoyable, rewarding form of shooting and hunting I've ever done
:redthumb:

Mine was an Armsport .54 caliber 1/2 stock Hawken flintlock kit. It's the same one Cablea's sells now. It has some wood in the patchbox inlay. In,1978, I won a T/C on a ticket but saw this at the dealer and bargained for the kit, finishing kit and all the shooting supplies instead. I wanted to learn about what made them tick. Best choice I ever made. I learned a lot by building it. I met the right folks; joined a club, attended shoots and got answers to the good questions. Those are the ones you ASK. Just for reference; the questions you still have on your mind.... those are the STUPID ONES. :applause:

CVA mountain rifle kit, 50 cal percussion. Got it from the factory in the 70's when they really were a "Connecticut Valley" Arms maker. Built it on the dining room table ( Navy houses were a little short on workshop space.) :nono:

Back in the dim recesses of the late 1950s I discovered that a percussion nipple properly attached to the end of a Daisey BB gun barrel would hurl small round balls with amazing force! (the first in-line?)

After a few years of fooling around with radio antenas and seamless tubing I discovered Dixie Gun Works and their 5 tons of Belgin gun parts!

The same catalog had a percussion pistol for $14.95, so I bought my first kit gun and my first componants for a "build" at the same time.

I found out that building from scratch was easier than building from a bad kit!

:front:

My first muzzleloader is a Navy Arms Zouave. Got that one in 1978. Followed by a Dixie Japanese Bess Kit, Dixie Charleville, Dixie M1803 (in .58) then came along my PRIDE and JOY. To celebrate the end of a 27 year Army Career, I treated myself to a Frank Bartlett, full rocco carved Jaeger in .58 (I have never seen a prettier or more practical gun). Lastly, but not leastly, there came along a Navy Arms M 1816 and a Northstar-West Fusil.

Cheers, Bill

T/C hawken .50 flintlock with a new grade 4 maple stock i put on from pecatonica river....and now in the middle of a scratch build from parts not a kit .54 1770 lancaster flinter with a grade 4 pecatonica stock also...............bob

I started with a Traditions Trapper pistol in kit form. My mom got it for me for Christams one year. I haven't shot it a whole lot but I still have it and get it out now and then to see where it all started. :redthumb:

The little "Twister" pistol. Was so green that I did not patch the first ball and it bounced back off a tree and hit me!

CVA Kentucky rifle.......caplock, .45 caliber.

If fired every 3rd time you pulled the trigger just like clockwork.

My first was a brass framed .36 navy I bought from Dixie Gun Works back in '68. Saved my allowance and the money I made from cutting lawns. First rifle was an early T/C Hawken flinter I bought in '70. (My first antique gun was a Sharps & Hankins Navy rifle that I got from my folks, Christmas 1967.)

TC Renegade flintlock. Still have it.

First Black powder firearm was a Ruger Old Army. Still have it too.

rayb

Jack Garner .43 caliber left handed (I'm right handed) rifle with a small siler flintlock done in true southern poorboy style. It was 1980 and I was stationed in Germany.

My first ML was a .58 CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle that I bought on sale for $139.00 in '82. It had some issues (barrel wedges fell out when it was tipped sideways) but it put ten balls in one big hole at 50 yds. making me quite happy. I still have it.

First I bought for myself was in the early 60's-not technically a muzzleloader, but a Springfield 45-70 with a rod bayonet. I was laughed at because I paid the ridiculous price of $37. The first one I used competitively was a TC 45 cal. Hawken in the 70's. Still have both of them. Of course, now, it's flint, only! Susie

Back